I94 expired but I797 is valid

amit0802

I entered USA in dec 16 last year with my old passport. Since my old passport was expiring on 2/4/18, i got I 94 till 2/4/18.

I have renewed my passport that says all visa in my old passport are valid. my usa visa stamping and i797 is valid till 12/21/18.

I have following questions, please reply as soon as possible.

1. Since i overstayed, is my old usa visa stamping void/canceled?

2. what should i do. do i just need to get new i94, can i go to canada and get a new i94 at border?

3 or i need to get a new stamping. if yes, then will i have to go home country India or i can get stamping from Canada?

Another way is, Go to your international airport ask "Where is the CBP office to see a CBP officer regarding a passport related query?" and see a CBP officer. 

Show them your I797, they will update it and give you a reference # for the action performed.

It is always best, to let employer's lawyers and have them file amendment for you and this reference can be provided.

It happened with me twice and once with my wife and  once with my extended family.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...