Court Marriage in 2017 in India, didn't inform employer - health insurance for Wife coming to USA on H-4 visa

coff

Hi,

I had done court marriage in 2017 in India so that wife has stamped h-4 visa and can come to USA immediately after our religious marriage ceremony in Jan 2018.

Since we didn't notify anyone about court marriage, I hadn't informed my employer about change in marital status.

Now that we are done with our marriage function and are about to fly(wife travelling for first time on h-4 visa) I wanted to check if I can add my wife on my employers health insurance as a change of event(the marriage date will still be of 2017, which is more than the 30 day or 90 day period for change in status).

On 2/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, Ninal said:

check with the HR dept of your company. From what I know a major event( marriage/ job loss of spouse / child birth etc)  in life will allow you to make changes . 

Yes, but that requires that the employer gets informed timely, which doesn't seem to have happened here. The marriage happened back in 2017, and the OP should have informed the employer then.

Don't delay these things just because the spouse isn't in the US yet.

Archived