N400 interview scheduled

pistu

Hi,

My case status changed to changed to  interview scheduled today. I am traveling to India end of march. Assuming the interview is one month from date of the letter and if interview goes well, i will be a US citizen but wont have a US passport to travel. Will I still be able to travel with my indian passport? If not what r my options as I cant cancel the trip.

Also, i didnt add in my speeding ticket int he original n400 application as it slipped my kind when doig the application and went to DMV this week and DMV doesnt have a record since it has been more than 6 years.I dont have any dates or records for the speeding ticket. Any suggestions on how to go about it during the interview.

It is possible to get an expedited US Passport. Look it up in GOOGLE. It will mean a couple of days or less though you have to pay for the privilege. Research visa on arrival for US Citizens. Secondly once you have your US Passport in hand, send your Indian Passport to the Indian Embassy for cancellation after which they will return it to you with a hole punched. This way you can apply for OCI . If you do not you will get fined when applying for a tourist visa. Also remember that you can get a 10 year tourist visa for India .

4 hours ago, pistu said:

Hi,

My case status changed to changed to  interview scheduled today. I am traveling to India end of march. Assuming the interview is one month from date of the letter and if interview goes well, i will be a US citizen but wont have a US passport to travel. Will I still be able to travel with my indian passport? If not what r my options as I cant cancel the trip.

Also, i didnt add in my speeding ticket int he original n400 application as it slipped my kind when doig the application and went to DMV this week and DMV doesnt have a record since it has been more than 6 years.I dont have any dates or records for the speeding ticket. Any suggestions on how to go about it during the interview.

After interview you will need to wait for Oath ceremony to get US Naturalization Certificate, until then you are Indian citizen. Some field offices holds the Oath ceremony same day whereas some schedules it sometime 1 to 3 months after your date of interview. In case Oath happens same day as interview, you can apply for US passport expedited way by showing your tickets. Generally you can get US passport in a day or two which you can use for India travel. Remember you will need to apply for Indian visa and for that paper work needs to be filed online at least 3 days prior to your departure.

In reference to speeding ticket, just mention it during interview if asked and they will take add it as remark on your N-400 form. On a side note time between Interview and Oath date, you need to be careful and not get any traffic violations etc.

You can always ask them to delay the oath ceremony for a date after you come back from India, a couple of my friends did that, they just informed the IO that they have a scheduled trip and there oath ceremony was scheduled after there date of return, actually one of them took oath past Monday after they got back from India, interview was back in December'17.

Archived