Job title change during H1B extension

nanna

Hello,

My employer is recommending to change my job title from Programmer Analyst to IT Project manager and my job duties would be similar to what I have been doing today and some additional project mgmt role. Will this cause any issues during H1 b extension ? Just to include that my I-140 is approved with job title- Programmer Analyst.

Any experts advice please.

Regards,

Mahesh

Why is job title change a "recommendation"? Are u in fact being or have already been promoted to IT Project Manager role OR is your employer just trying to use a fancy title like many of the outsourcing/staffing firms use, to reduce chances of RFE? If in fact, you are not a project manager and this title change is purely a fabrication to deceive USCIS, I would tread on the side of caution. If your employer is a body shop or one of the Indian outsourcing firms, you are obviously working for a "client" and during the extension, they would have to use a client letter (or vendor letter) which shows your new added PM responsibilities as part of your current job. They would also have to justify how your education and experience fits the role among other things. If that is easy and your client and/or vendor are also in to these shady practices, you should be fine with your employer recommendation.

But if you are actually working full time for a legit company, title change is in fact due to career progression event and they have to apply for your extension with the new job role and corresponding wages.

6 hours ago, Surfer123 said:

Why is job title change a "recommendation"? Are u in fact being or have already been promoted to IT Project Manager role OR is your employer just trying to use a fancy title like many of the outsourcing/staffing firms use, to reduce chances of RFE? If in fact, you are not a project manager and this title change is purely a fabrication to deceive USCIS, I would tread on the side of caution. If your employer is a body shop or one of the Indian outsourcing firms, you are obviously working for a "client" and during the extension, they would have to use a client letter (or vendor letter) which shows your new added PM responsibilities as part of your current job. They would also have to justify how your education and experience fits the role among other things. If that is easy and your client and/or vendor are also in to these shady practices, you should be fine with your employer recommendation.

But if you are actually working full time for a legit company, title change is in fact due to career progression event and they have to apply for your extension with the new job role and corresponding wages.

I agree with Surfer. More over  Programmer Analyst is basic job title what most of Indian IT consulting firms use and jumping to IT Project Manager is huge. Normally you will  jump in small steps like Developer, Sr Developer and so on... 

• 1 year later...

Archived