H1B visa extension - Received 221G Chennai Consulate

bash123

I submitted my documents at Chennai OFC for H1B stamping(3rd extension) on Nov 27th. I haven't changed my employer but my company got acquired by another mid last year. The H1B petition for extension was filed after acquisition and was approved. I received my passport on Dec 7th along with a blue 221G form asking me to appear for interview at Chennai consulate along with my resume and job description. I appeared for interview at the consulate on Dec 11. I was asked about my work location, title, salary, job responsibilities, educational qualifications. After the interview, my passport was retained by consulate along with resume & job description, and I was given a blue 221G form with administrative processing option checked. 

The visa status on CEAC website appears as Administrative Processing with last updated date as Dec 11. I have tried emailing US Travel docs, but received a standard reply stating that I have to wait for about 60 days.

Please advise on the expected timeline for administrative processing for such cases. Are there any options that I could try out in the meantime to obtain status updates on my case?

Hello Bash123,

I am in the same boat. This was my 2nd extension from 2017 to 2020. Dropbox was not an option since I did not get my previous extension stamped at all as I never traveled out of the US during that time. 

My company was acquired by another company a couple of years back and my h1b was filed by the new legal entity formed afrer the acquisition. 

My interview was on the 27th of Novenber, 2017 at Chennai. The officer seemed cool with my case, verified my previous 797 (from 2014-2017). Then he saifld that my visa was approved. But im the next 2 days I got an email with the 221g attachemt asking me to submit e-copies of my old I-94s from when I entered US a in 2009 and in 2011. I was a grad student back then. It felt very strange to me that I was expected to carry i94 copies when these arrival records are made electronic. I submitted the documents that were requested on November 30th. I did not hear anything yet since the customer support doesn't really help and gives a standard response.

My doubt is that they are doing extra rounds of scrituny for cases of extension beyond 6 years term.

Please keep us posted in case there are any improvements on your side and I will do the same. 

Best of luck!

Hello Bash123,

No updates whatsoever. Emailing support-india@ustraveldocs seems to be useless as they don't really look at the specific case and respond based on a standard template.

Even I am anxious. The suggested timeline for  their response is 60 days in "most" cases from the time of start of admin. processing. I am not sure if Saturday/Sunday counts in those 60 days. In my case, the processing started from Nov 28. I am sure it must have been about 30 days now without counting weekends. I hope they stick to their guideline and respond at least within the next 30 odd days (it's still horribly late, but that's better than the present situation). I have heard stories where it has taken months together and all I could pray is that none of us have to go through such phase :(

Thanks

Naveen

Hello Naveen,

My case got updated on 01/11 and status was changed to issued on 01/12. I'm currently waiting for passport. 

I had emailed chennaiciu@state.gov on 01/08 and had received a standard response as well. This is another email id that you could try. I have read in forums that chennaiciu do look into cases that go beyond 60 days. Hopefully you receive an update soon for your case at least by next week.

I am in the same boat 

Case is created on 30-11-2017 and asked to submit the updated client letter, to confirm my job position available upon my return. I have submitted the client letter on 18-12-2017. Since then case is in administrative processing as of 16-01-2018.

In most of the 221g client letter requested cases USCIS contacted the client with in 2 weeks of time But in my case my client haven't received any communication either email or via phone, I wrote a email to support-india@traveldocs.com But received the standard answer to wait till 60 days since the case is administrative processing. Please advise what is next step ?

Notes :

on 30-11-2017 Drop boxed the Mine and my wife's passport in VFS office Bangalore .

on 10-Dec-2017 received the passport form VFS office found blue slip - asking to appear for interview with updated client letter which confirms my job vacancy up on my return.

on 18-Dec-2017 attended the interview , Interview went smooth normal questions and Consular officer told they have received all the document they were looking for nothing is required from my side, But they need some time to process my case I will get email from USCIS with other slip which is checked to send passport, upon receiving the email i need to drop the passport back in Banglore VFS office.

But till today no no email and case last updated is Dec-18-2017.. 

My one more worry is client is not connected ? 

• 1 year later...

My husband is also in same weird situation. We both applies for dropbox on 1/8. My visa got approved on 11th but he received a blue slip asking to come in person for interview. He was then asked to go to medical and get his reports submitted by Apollo Chennai for further approval and was issued white slip too. We confirmed that the reports are submitted on 1/29 but still not updates. I notice lot of people mentioning about contacting consulate. please provide any contact details so that I can contact right place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 12:43 AM, Naveen v said:

Hello Bash123,

No updates whatsoever. Emailing support-india@ustraveldocs seems to be useless as they don't really look at the specific case and respond based on a standard template.

Even I am anxious. The suggested timeline for  their response is 60 days in "most" cases from the time of start of admin. processing. I am not sure if Saturday/Sunday counts in those 60 days. In my case, the processing started from Nov 28. I am sure it must have been about 30 days now without counting weekends. I hope they stick to their guideline and respond at least within the next 30 odd days (it's still horribly late, but that's better than the present situation). I have heard stories where it has taken months together and all I could pray is that none of us have to go through such phase :(

Thanks

Naveen

Naveen,

did you get any update ? did the officer retained your passport ? or did he/she hand it back to you after the interview ?

My case is more or less similar :

I had H1 and left the country in 2010 and started working in India. between 2013 and 2015, i visited US on B1 for couple of weeks (4 trips).

I went to US on L1 in 2016 and also got an extension from 2018 to 2020. I submitted my docs in dropbox on 1st Feb. after three days, received 221g asking me to appear for interview. During chennai interview, i felt like the VO thinks, I have used more than 7 yrs of stay (H1 + L1 combined - even though i was out country and working in india between 2010 and 2016). i tried to explain, but VO insisted, she needs to go through the papers, and and retained my passport.  i mentioned about my daughter school and my travel plans, she said, she is not sure, how many levels she has to discuss to take a decision but will do as ASAP. i thanked her and left :(

staying in hotel, kids skipping school..is all making my day worse .. let me know how your case went .

Thanks

KG.

Archived