H1b Extension Denied

h1girl1947

Hi. 

I recently filed my h1b extension and it got denied on speciality occupation grounds. I have bachelors degree in Electronics and Communications Engineering and 12 years of experience in IT. this is my first h1b extension petition after my i 140 grot approved.

What are the possible options for me to take further steps.

1. Can i file change of status to H4 on my spouse's h1b being in us by submitting form i539?

2. do i need to travel abroad to canada or uk or mexico to get H4 stamped and come back and then file H4 EAD. In the denial Notice , it says to appeal on denial with additional evidence before 33 days. Do i need to submit appeal first and then go for h4 stamping? In this case while my appeal is in progress, do they give H4 approval to me?

3. Or Do i need to first get H4 stamped by travelling to any abroad country and then come and appeal on denial?

4. When i apply for Appeal, for how long can i stay lawfull in US? 

5. Can i apply for new H1B amendment if i have new job or new contract in hand with same or different employer ? If i do this, how long can i stay in US ? 

Appreciate if you suggest what are the possible options in this scenario. When i will go out of status?

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your extension denial. If your H1B/I-94 is still valid, I think you are still eligible for the 60 day rule and see if you can find someone that can sponsor a H1B and apply again. Or convert to H4 and find an employer who will sponsor H1B and apply again.

My renewal is coming up shortly and I too have a degree in ECE. Did you get a RFE before the denial? If yes, can you please share the RFE details and how you have responded to the RFE?

Thanks and good luck.

Sorry about the denial. I believe u do have get a 60 day grace period and also change of status to H4 shouldn't be a problem. But I sincerely suggest talking to an immigration attorney - you can find many good ones on websites like Avvo, many of whom do free phone and/or personal consultations. You could also talk to someone at Murthy firm but I believe they have some consultation fee. With personal experience I can tell you that talking to a good immigration attorney, even if it is a paid one will be ideal - it always made me feel assured and clear when in doubt or had any pressing issues (there were several in past 10 years of my F1/H1B journey)

Between, if u don't mind, can u share if your employer is a consulting firm (including firms like infosys, tcs etc..) or a US based firm AND also your job title? Thanks and good luck

Hi All

my employer's attorney responded to the details project description with time frames division and Expert Opinion Letter from third party but still got denied. I spoke with couple of attorneys including Murthy law. Murthy law Attorney says that i can apply for change of status being US as my current i94 is still valid . 

I am worrying about the case where , what if i don't receive receipt now if I file my change of status to H4 before i94 expires. Am i still eligible to stay in US on legal status because USCIS received my application package eventhough i dint receive receipt no before my i94 expires. Can i wait for decision on my change of status 

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, h1girl1947 said:

Hi All

my employer's attorney responded to the details project description with time frames division and Expert Opinion Letter from third party but still got denied. I spoke with couple of attorneys including Murthy law. Murthy law Attorney says that i can apply for change of status being US as my current i94 is still valid . 

I am worrying about the case where , what if i don't receive receipt now if I file my change of status to H4 before i94 expires. Am i still eligible to stay in US on legal status because USCIS received my application package eventhough i dint receive receipt no before my i94 expires. Can i wait for decision on my change of status 

Would you mind sharing your experience after this please? That can help a lot of other people like me.

Archived