Visa Drop-Box with multiple I-797

Multiple_I797

I wanted to get the opinion of the good folks in this forum with regards to my situation.

I have an I-797 (current) expiring in May, 2018. My employer has filed for an extension, which was approved, and is valid till May, 2021. My current H1B stamp expired last month. I am eligible for Interview Waiver Program - Drop-Box option and am planning to utilize this option at the Hyderabad consulate later this month. I have reviewed a lot of rules and procedures but did not find anything in writing regarding a couple of questions I have, for which I need help with and hence the request for counsel, advice, opinion etc.

1. While filling the DS-160 form, it only allows you to mention one H1B receipt number. While the general advice on forums is that one should use the latest I-797 (starting in May 2018, thus 4 months in future) receipt number. My employer's legal team has advised on using the current I-797 receipt number but submit both for the drop-box, which frankly sounds more logical to me. Has anyone been in this situation and what receipt number have they used? Any known issue with using the current I-797 receipt number? Results with using the current I-797?

2. I know it is technically possible that they can issue a visa only till May 2018 and ignore the latest I-797. Is it typical to ignore the new I-797 or do they generally honor the combined periods of I-797?

3. Is anyone aware of any limitation around minimum number of days remaining for issuing a H1B visa stamp? For e.g. is there a stipulation that says for an H1B visa stamp to be issued, you should have at least 180 remaining on your H1B I-797 approval etc.?

Thanks. I would greatly appreciate your input.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:13 PM, Multiple_I797 said:

I wanted to get the opinion of the good folks in this forum with regards to my situation.

I have an I-797 (current) expiring in May, 2018. My employer has filed for an extension, which was approved, and is valid till May, 2021. My current H1B stamp expired last month. I am eligible for Interview Waiver Program - Drop-Box option and am planning to utilize this option at the Hyderabad consulate later this month. I have reviewed a lot of rules and procedures but did not find anything in writing regarding a couple of questions I have, for which I need help with and hence the request for counsel, advice, opinion etc.

1. While filling the DS-160 form, it only allows you to mention one H1B receipt number. While the general advice on forums is that one should use the latest I-797 (starting in May 2018, thus 4 months in future) receipt number. My employer's legal team has advised on using the current I-797 receipt number but submit both for the drop-box, which frankly sounds more logical to me. Has anyone been in this situation and what receipt number have they used? Any known issue with using the current I-797 receipt number? Results with using the current I-797?

2. I know it is technically possible that they can issue a visa only till May 2018 and ignore the latest I-797. Is it typical to ignore the new I-797 or do they generally honor the combined periods of I-797?

3. Is anyone aware of any limitation around minimum number of days remaining for issuing a H1B visa stamp? For e.g. is there a stipulation that says for an H1B visa stamp to be issued, you should have at least 180 remaining on your H1B I-797 approval etc.?

Thanks. I would greatly appreciate your input.

1. You need to fill new H-1 receipt number expiring in May 2021. If you fill with existing petition they will give you visa till May 2018 only.

2. They go by the details filled in DS-160.

3. No limitation. I went in Jan 2016. My new H-1 was starting in May 2016. 4 months before and had no issues.

• 1 year later...

Archived