SUCCESS STORY - H1b Renewal in Mumbai with DUI- 4th Time

I owe this group my result so here's my timeline. For stamping 1, 2 and 3 look for the post in my profile or the story below this post below. 

I thank the members of this community who supported me through this process.  

Fourth Stamping - Change in Employer Dropbox eligible. 

Nov 17th - Submitted visa for dropbox submission in Pune office for Mumbai Consulate. 

Nov 22nd - CEAC Shows Admin Processing, USVISA Docs shows - Passport Sent - I knew this was a 221 g for a in person interview hence prepared for that. I had chosen Premium Delivery hence got the passport in hand even on Thanks Giving Day. Remember if PP is not selected the VFS locations stay closed on US and Indian holidays. So I feel its a good investment. 

Nov 23rd - Received Passport with 221g for a interview in mumbai. 

Nov 24th - Went to Mumbai for a in person interview. I had clearly written my story in the column for arrests and mentioned that I had already been through a Medical Panel in 2014. The Visa officer looked at my case and kept reading then looked at me and said show me what you have. I handed her the 221g letter from Last time, the medical receipt and the court disposition documents. He then said hold on and went behind to talk to other visa officers. They kept talking for like 10 mins. Finally he came and I said "Is everything alright" to which he said Yes. He advised me that as I have a DUI I should never apply for a Dropbox. I reminded him how the system does not allow me to choose a Interview when I qualify for a Dropbox. She mentioned book a emergency appointment next time. I simply said I will keep that in mind. She then kept typing something and asked me the date of the arrest. It was Nov 2011 more than 6 years ago. I also reminded him that I have no arrests after this one time incident and how its really painful to go through this every time. He smiled and said good, some people have two DUI's.

Then finally she said we are good on the DUI and now lets have the normal interview. 

Questions - 

1. What is your position ?

2. What is your highest level of Education - The visa officer even said thats a good school I see many people for that school :). He was a really nice visa officer. 

3. Do you work in the same location ?

Finally she kept typing something for 5 mins and said Visa Approved you shall get your visa in 3 - 5 days. 

I was so excited, I simply thanked her three times and left. 

Nov 24th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 24th Nov 

Nov 28th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 28th Nov 

Nov 28th - Dec 8th - No Update. I was in a Panic mode this time. Extremely anxious helpless and depressed. Later came to know that there were technical issues. 

Dec 8th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 8th Dec

Dec 11th - Morning 10 am - CEAC - "Issued"  Last Updated Date - 11th dev

Dec 12th - Received Passport home as I had selected Premium Delivery 

Dec 14th - Flew Back to US - POE was smooth - This is the first time the POE officer asked me for the court disposition documents. He let me in after typing something for 10 mins in Newark airport. Over all Smooth. 

I am now reunited with my family after pushing my travel dates twice. 

Advice - With DUI renewals allow at least 3 - 4 weeks and go for stamping as you land asap. Be patient and do not expect your passport immediately. 

I am saying this to reduce your anxiety levels. If you have a single DUI you should get your visa stamp.  

Please post results after interview for the sake of other readers and do not drink and drive :)

Background and previous stamping. 

Got arrested for DUI in 2011  50 meters before my apartment as I had a stupid flat tire. The cop came to help me and instead smelled alcohol and arrested me. The horror story starts after that. I left india 1 week after incident and had filled the form and marked No to arrest question as it was submitted before the incident.  

Stamping 1 Sept 2011 - Employer A Officer was surprised why I marked No then he realized I submitted the application before the DUI. Sent me for Panel in Mumbai to Lilavati Hospital - Asked to submit passport in 5 working days after the medical, got visa stamped. No report is ever handed to you. Your proof is the receipt and the 221 G letter. The 221 G letter clearly states which hospital to visit and mentioned to submit passport to a VFS office 5 working days after the incident. I did the same and got the visa. 

Stamping 2 June 2014 - Employer B New employer hence interview in Mumbai, I had marked the question as Yes and wrote the explanation, also wrote about the medical panel I did last time. Officer asked about DUI I reminded him I already did the Panel. He went behind and told me to do the medical again I asked why he said first was not done properly. This time it was done at Rele Clinic and it was actually much intense than the Lilavati one and also included going to a Physo and they took 12 photos from me. I think the the consulate changed the hospital and hence made people do medical again. I am guessing this. Same procedure as 1 though. 5 days after the stamping I submitted the passport and got the visa stamped. 

Stamping 3 Oct 2015- Employer B Same Employer - Dropbox eligible - Marked question as Yes - Wrote medical done in the text box which shows up - No issues - Stamp received in 4 days I guess. 

Stamping 4  Date TBD- Employer C Pending now. Will be dropping off the passport soon and this time its same Dropbox but change in Employer. I will post results when I get. fingers crossed and wish me luck. 

As mentioned I entered and exited the us 20 times after this and have been taken for Sec Inspection. Some airports its really quick some it took from 30 mins to 2 hours to get a clearance. No questions asked. They simply check if we are hardened criminals I guess. 

I have a dropbox submission soon and if you ask me if I am nervous then hell yes. I am absolutely nervous the thought of H1b stamping gives me sleepless nights and makes me think why the hell did I commit the stupid mistake 6 years ago. But I am hopeful this time as I have had a successful drop box before this and two normal interviews too. Been in the US for 12 years now so hopefully they will consider all that and make it easier. 

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, ITS NOT WORTH IT. PARK YOUR CAR AND TAKE A UBER. NO MATTER HOW CONFIDENT YOU ARE. 

6 hours ago, stampwithgrace said:

I owe this group my result so here's my timeline. For stamping 1, 2 and 3 look for the post in my profile or the story below this post below. 

I thank the members of this community who supported me through this process.  

Fourth Stamping - Change in Employer Dropbox eligible. 

Nov 17th - Submitted visa for dropbox submission in Pune office for Mumbai Consulate. 

Nov 22nd - CEAC Shows Admin Processing, USVISA Docs shows - Passport Sent - I knew this was a 221 g for a in person interview hence prepared for that. I had chosen Premium Delivery hence got the passport in hand even on Thanks Giving Day. Remember if PP is not selected the VFS locations stay closed on US and Indian holidays. So I feel its a good investment. 

Nov 23rd - Received Passport with 221g for a interview in mumbai. 

Nov 24th - Went to Mumbai for a in person interview. I had clearly written my story in the column for arrests and mentioned that I had already been through a Medical Panel in 2014. The Visa officer looked at my case and kept reading then looked at me and said show me what you have. I handed her the 221g letter from Last time, the medical receipt and the court disposition documents. He then said hold on and went behind to talk to other visa officers. They kept talking for like 10 mins. Finally he came and I said "Is everything alright" to which he said Yes. He advised me that as I have a DUI I should never apply for a Dropbox. I reminded him how the system does not allow me to choose a Interview when I qualify for a Dropbox. She mentioned book a emergency appointment next time. I simply said I will keep that in mind. She then kept typing something and asked me the date of the arrest. It was Nov 2011 more than 6 years ago. I also reminded him that I have no arrests after this one time incident and how its really painful to go through this every time. He smiled and said good, some people have two DUI's.

Then finally she said we are good on the DUI and now lets have the normal interview. 

Questions - 

1. What is your position ?

2. What is your highest level of Education - The visa officer even said thats a good school I see many people for that school :). He was a really nice visa officer. 

3. Do you work in the same location ?

Finally she kept typing something for 5 mins and said Visa Approved you shall get your visa in 3 - 5 days. 

I was so excited, I simply thanked her three times and left. 

Nov 24th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 24th Nov 

Nov 28th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 28th Nov 

Nov 28th - Dec 8th - No Update. I was in a Panic mode this time. Extremely anxious helpless and depressed. Later came to know that there were technical issues. 

Dec 8th - CEAC - "Admin Processing"  Last Updated Date - 8th Dec

Dec 11th - Morning 10 am - CEAC - "Issued"  Last Updated Date - 11th dev

Dec 12th - Received Passport home as I had selected Premium Delivery 

Dec 14th - Flew Back to US - POE was smooth - This is the first time the POE officer asked me for the court disposition documents. He let me in after typing something for 10 mins in Newark airport. Over all Smooth. 

I am now reunited with my family after pushing my travel dates twice. 

Advice - With DUI renewals allow at least 3 - 4 weeks and go for stamping as you land asap. Be patient and do not expect your passport immediately. 

I am saying this to reduce your anxiety levels. If you have a single DUI you should get your visa stamp.  

Please post results after interview for the sake of other readers and do not drink and drive :)

Great to hear!! Congrats on your Visa!

hey @stampwithgrace , my case is similar to yours, (i dont have any DUI but )  I submitted my docs at Pune VFS & then yesterday got my passport back with no stamp & bluish slip 221g and none of the checkboxes checked. I don't exactly know what to do - schedule an appointment online or just walk in or what exactly. 

I work for a pretty well-known employer & am not a consultant or work for client etc & I'm a ft employee & this is my second h1b stamping. I never even expected this. 

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do if none of the checkboxes are checked on the bluish 221g form ? I'd really appreciate some info. This is so worrisome.

Edited by sm_p89
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2017 at 10:21 PM, sm_p89 said:

hey @stampwithgrace , my case is similar to yours, (i dont have any DUI but )  I submitted my docs at Pune VFS & then yesterday got my passport back with no stamp & bluish slip 221g and none of the checkboxes checked. I don't exactly know what to do - schedule an appointment online or just walk in or what exactly. 

I work for a pretty well-known employer & am not a consultant or work for client etc & I'm a ft employee & this is my second h1b stamping. I never even expected this. 

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do if none of the checkboxes are checked on the bluish 221g form ? I'd really appreciate some info. This is so worrisome.

I hope you got your visa. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 9:51 AM, sm_p89 said:

Did you get your visa? 

• 2 months later...

Hello

thank you so much for your detailed post. I am faced with a similar situation, I was arrested of a DUI in California in Sept 2016 with a 0.14 BAC. I was convicted in Feb 2017.  

I went back to Indonesia (my home country) in August 2017 without knowing the consequences of having to go to a panel physician for a visa renewal. I was initially an International student but I switched my visa to R2 since my father was granted an R1. 

After waiting for about 3 weeks, I got my visa approved and went back to the States in October.

my question is -

1) my R2 status expires in Sept 2018 and I just got admitted to UC irvine this fall. My father is going to file a request to extend his R1 status in about a month. Will DUI get in the way of getting my R2 extension status approved? Am I allowed to wait in the US?

what are the chances of my extension of status being approved? 

2) i have gone to the panel physician once and passed. Would I have to go to a panel physician every time I apply for a visa? 

Please share your opinions regarding my situation. thank you so much!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am on my F1 visa working as a Software Engineer and charged with the DUI a month before in St Louis, MO. My BAC level was 0.107. I am working with a good criminal lawyer to settle things. 

I am getting married on Dec 30th and need to travel to India. I read about the prudential revocation of F1 visa. Till date, I haven't received anything from the consulate. I am a little bit scared to travel outside the country but it is inevitable for me. 

1. How would I confirm if my visa is revoked or not?

2. If revoked, what documents I should carry with me?

3. I need to tell my employer how many days I need to be in India. What is the maximum time to get the new visa in Mumbai consulate?

Thank You.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was arrested for DUI but reduced for reckless driving in Dec 2017.

Appeared for H1B visa stamping (fifth stamping, first after DUI) in New Delhi on May 20th, 2019.

Was asked to go to medical panel and submit report. Submitted report with passport at VFS on May 25th. 

Today is June 10th and status is admin processing still. 

How long should I expect to wait?? I had scheduled my flight to go back to US in a week now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...