10 yrs on GC, applying for citizenship

KBJ

We have been on GC for 10 years (up for renewal in March) and we are preparing to file for citizenship this week.  Wasn't sure what happens to work status during the N400 decision process.  Any other advice on issues to consider will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

On 12/12/2017 at 0:15 PM, JoeF said:

What do you mean with "what happens to work status"? You are an LPR until the citizenship oath.

Naturalization is a pretty straightforward process.

JoeF, thanks for the response.  I did not know about LPR status.  So once the N400 is submitted, you automatically switch to LPR even if the green card had expired before the N400 is approved?  (The background to the question is that we had contacted a lawyers office and they said that March is too little time to apply for citizenship and get approved, and so suggested simultaneously applying for both citizenship and an extension of the green card).  Based on your response, I am thinking that this is unnecessary and we can apply N400 now and stay on in LPR status.  Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?  Thanks in advance.

You seem to be confused.

LPR means "Legal Permanent Resident", it is the official term for people who have a Green card.

You remain an LPR, even if the actual card expires, if that is your concern. You are supposed to have a valid GC, but with a pending N-400 it is debatable if spending the money for an extension is necessary.

KBJ,

I were you, I would apply for both even if that means spending extra money. Not having valid green card may impose certain restriction such as travel. Driver's license renewal (certain states) or proving your legal status to collages. Better follow legal advise given by your immigration lawyer.  I will play safe and pay the price for waiting too long to apply for citizenship.

Archived