ds160 application for H1B application

randolph

Hi,

I am applying for my first H1B visa interview. I haven't booked the flights to India yet as I want to set the visa dates first. So the travel plans mean how long I am going to stay in usa. I don't know this as that depends on my H1B visa duration which I will know only after the visa interview. So meanwhile, what should I enter here?

While filling the DS160, I came across the following questions

What do I answer for the following questions?

1) Have you made specific travel plans? 

Yes/ No

2) Intended Date of Arrival ?

3) Intended Length of Stay in U.S.?

4) Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services? Yes/No

Does this mean H1B visa too?

5) I worked in India for 5 years. After this I came to usa and did my masters. And after masters, I have been working for the last 1 and a half year. So for the previous employment, should I enter my India experience or it's not needed?

9 hours ago, randolph said:

Hi,

I am applying for my first H1B visa interview. I haven't booked the flights to India yet as I want to set the visa dates first. So the travel plans mean how long I am going to stay in usa. I don't know this as that depends on my H1B visa duration which I will know only after the visa interview. So meanwhile, what should I enter here?

While filling the DS160, I came across the following questions

What do I answer for the following questions?

1) Have you made specific travel plans? 

Yes/ No

2) Intended Date of Arrival ?

3) Intended Length of Stay in U.S.?

4) Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services? Yes/No

Does this mean H1B visa too?

5) I worked in India for 5 years. After this I came to usa and did my masters. And after masters, I have been working for the last 1 and a half year. So for the previous employment, should I enter my India experience or it's not needed?

1. NO (this is always No)

2. Based on what date your return ticket is. For example, if your ticket is from 12/11/2017 to 1/11/2018, then i would put intended date of arrival as 1/11/2018. 

3. Based on the date you I797 is expiring. Lets say you have an approved visa from 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2021, then your intended length of stay in US is 3 years if you are going for stamping on 1/1/2018. If your stamping date is 6/1/2018, then the length is 2 years and six months.

4. This question is based on your GC processing. If your employer started your GC processing you will answer Yes, otherwise No.

5. Since you did masters, i am assuming that you applied in masters quota. So you only need to add your US experience. Frankly, there is no harm in adding your Indian experience if you want to.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

12 hours ago, nmurthy said:

1. NO (this is always No)

2. Based on what date your return ticket is. For example, if your ticket is from 12/11/2017 to 1/11/2018, then i would put intended date of arrival as 1/11/2018. 

3. Based on the date you I797 is expiring. Lets say you have an approved visa from 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2021, then your intended length of stay in US is 3 years if you are going for stamping on 1/1/2018. If your stamping date is 6/1/2018, then the length is 2 years and six months.

4. This question is based on your GC processing. If your employer started your GC processing you will answer Yes, otherwise No.

5. Since you did masters, i am assuming that you applied in masters quota. So you only need to add your US experience. Frankly, there is no harm in adding your Indian experience if you want to.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks a Lot!

2) As I said, I haven't booked my flights to India yet as it depends on the visa date I will get. Once I have my visa dates confirmed, I will book my tickets around it. So, as of now I do not know my date of arrival to US. I tentatively put it to 1st of February 2018. Is this right?

3) The dates on my I797 document is 1st Oct 2017 to 31st July 2020. I intend to plan my visa dates around Jan-Feb, so length of stay in US will be 2 years 6 months. Is this right?

4) Also, on my I797 document, the consulate is New Delhi. But I plan to go for stamping in Mumbai. Will this matter?

Thanks Again! 

13 hours ago, Blazing said:

Hi Randolph, 

one qq. While you are filling DS160 what expiration Date is showing. 

When i am trying to start fresh application, expiration date is showing as 10/31/2017 which is old date. 

thank you.

I did not see any expiration date unless I missed seeing it in the beginning. But while saving the application, it does tell me that I can submit my application until next 30 days. 

13 hours ago, randolph said:

Thanks a Lot!

2) As I said, I haven't booked my flights to India yet as it depends on the visa date I will get. Once I have my visa dates confirmed, I will book my tickets around it. So, as of now I do not know my date of arrival to US. I tentatively put it to 1st of February 2018. Is this right?

3) The dates on my I797 document is 1st Oct 2017 to 31st July 2020. I intend to plan my visa dates around Jan-Feb, so length of stay in US will be 2 years 6 months. Is this right?

4) Also, on my I797 document, the consulate is New Delhi. But I plan to go for stamping in Mumbai. Will this matter?

Thanks Again! 

2. Yes, you can 

3. 2 years and 8 months (i would be as accurate as possible)

4. As far as i know, you can go in any consulate within India. Please call VFS helpdesk in India to confirm

Hi,

1) So I have booked my Visa appointment for 4th Feb (OFC) and 5th Feb(Consulate).

The date of arrival that I put in my DS160 is 1st Feb. As I had not seen the visa dates yet while i was filling the DS160. But now, my visa dates are 4th and 5th of Feb. So my date of arrival will be end of Feb instead of 1st of Feb. Will this matter? Or should I change the date of arrival in my DS160? (If yes, not sure how i can do that. It would probably ask me to fill out a new DS160. And if I fill out a new DS160, I cant change the DS160 confirmation number on my current visa appointment. Thoughts?)

2) How much time does it take for the passport to arrive at home? (I have selected blue dart premium service). Should 3 weeks be enough? I am planning to return to US on 24th Feb. Will this be enough or should I extend my stay a bit?

3) Just so that I don't miss any documents. Could you please let me know the documents I need to carry? I can check a link if it has the list of documents.

But mainly what are the questions being asked during the Visa interview as of now? Should I be prepared for some particular questions?

Thanks again!

Archived