I-94 Extension from Canada-US Border

SONI12

Hello Experts,

My I-94 is going to expire in Feb 2018 due to my old passport validity as its also valid till Feb 2018. But later I applied for new passport and received it. Now I have to extend my I-94.

I have seen so many posts here on I-94 extension when people went to Mexico and came back with new I-94. But Canada Border is near to WA state from where I am planning to go.

I wanted to know if anyone recently visited Canada for I-94 extension and how's their experience? Did you apply for Canada ETA/Tourist visa too? Did you go by CAR or AIR?

Did you receive new I-94 extension from US CBP ?

When I called to my POE airport then they said you have to visit any other country instead of Canada and Mexico to get new I-94 or else your stay must be 30 days in Canada/Mexico.

I need help if is it worthy to visit Canada and get new I-94 without any issue.

Please advise asap.

Regards

You may have asked the wrong questions. The agent was incorrect if he meant that "AUTOMATIC VISA REVALIDATION" was compulsory. It is not. You can ask for and get a new I94 should you want. Which specific border crossing are you talking about?

Make sure to run this by your employer/Lawyer as they may have different ideas to sort this problem out including filing another H1 petition.

I have asked for a similar question in this forum, below is the link

My company's attorney also said something similar regarding travel to Canada/Mexico. 

"" FYI - assuming the law remains the same - travel to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days won't enable you to obtain a new I-94 with a longer expiration date.   Thus, the travel would need to be to a different country (other than to Canada or Mexico) or to Canada or Mexico for a period of more than 30 days.  ""

On 12/11/2017 at 0:53 PM, pontevecchio said:

You may have asked the wrong questions. The agent was incorrect if he meant that "AUTOMATIC VISA REVALIDATION" was compulsory. It is not. You can ask for and get a new I94 should you want. Which specific border crossing are you talking about?

Make sure to run this by your employer/Lawyer as they may have different ideas to sort this problem out including filing another H1 petition.

What do you mean by that I asked a wrong question. What wrong in this case?

If I am not wrong then to get new I-94 I have to go outside US. Does it matter its Canada or Mexico for CBP? 
I checked on CBP website and they have not mentioned any specific term that I have to go there for 30 days?

I guess we cannot apply for H1B extension prior to 6 months of expiry date and mine is valid till Aug 2018. Can you please explain what do you mean by filing another H1B petition ?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 5:04 PM, adshah84 said:

I was in the same situation and i got extended I94 at from US CBP at canada border. 

I took canada visitor visa went to vancover and returned next day. Paid $6 as fees and that's it. 

HI,

Could you please confirm from which Canada border you got the new I-94. Can you please explain in detail ?

Thanks!

On 10/11/2018 at 5:11 PM, SanjeevAgg said:

HI,

Could you please confirm from which Canada border you got the new I-94. Can you please explain in detail ?

Thanks!

I went to Vancouver. stayed there for night and return next day. While entering i told them i want to extend my I94. 

They gave me slip and took me inside. Showed them new passport and I797 and that's it.  

• 1 year later...