Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Living outside of US while N-400 being processed

Recommended Posts


I have an opportunity to move to India for 2 years on a work assignment starting in late 2018-early 2019. I am currently a permanent resident and plan to apply for citizenship in late June 2018. Is it advisable to relocate to India after filing N-400? Can I relocate, maintain an address in the US and be at biometrics, interview etc. without risking citizenship?

Share this post

Link to post

As a Permanent Resident, you have to live in the US. All trips abroad have to be temporary in nature. Moving abroad risks the GC, and obviously, without GC no naturalization.

The N-470 that was mentioned can help in certain circumstances if your employer sends you abroad on an assignment. But the devil is in the details, and a consultation with a good immigration lawyer would certainly be very helpful.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this