Consular Processing for Spouse

legionwarrior

I filed my I-140 and I-485 concurrently in EB2. While I'm in USA (that's why I-1485 for me), my wife is in my home country.

While filling out the I-140 (Section 7), I mentioned my spouse's details, and that she'll need visa abroad.

My I-140 got approved on 24th July, and in the approval notice only my name is listed as beneficiary. My employer said that as my wife's name is mentioned in I-140 form, her case will automatically be sent to National visa center (NVC) for consular processing.

Its been almost 6 weeks since I-140 approval. I've called National Visa Center, and they said they haven't received anything for my USCIS receipt number, and I should call USCIS to check the status of my wife's case. I called USCIS and they said they can only give case information to the employer or their legal representative.

My employer is insisting that they've done everything at their end, and case will be sent to NVC sooner or later. But I'm getting worried now.

Besides entering my wife's details in I-140 form, is there any other step required from my side to get her visa done via consular processing?

7 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

She can "FOLLOW TO JOIN" once you get your GC. Get a law firm involved in the matter.

Thanks for the answer @pontevecchio. Are you sure, her case won't be sent to NVC for consular processing, because her name was mentioned in the I-140 form? Some other follow up questions are below:

1. What was the purpose of enlisting dependent's information in form I-140?
  2. Were we supposed to take some other step as well (beside entering information in I-140) to do consular processing for her?
  3. If 'FOLLOW TO JOIN' is the only option in this case, how long does it usually take after getting green card?

I've entered below the instructions given to fill-in Part 7 of form I-140:

Part 7. Information on Spouse and All Children of the Person for Whom You are Filing:
List Husband/wife and all childern related to the individual for whom the petition is bieng filed. Also, note if the individual will be applying for a visa abroad or for adjustment of status as dependednt of the individual for whom the petition is filed.

Archived