All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
naveen9999

Beneficiary's degree - Specialty occupation RFE

Here is RFE from USCIS: Please submit additional evidence that clearly shows beneficiary qualifies for a specialty occupation. Evidence must show how the beneficiary's degree(s) in mechanical engineering qualifies him for the proffered position as a programmer analyst. If the degree is not in a directly related field submit a statement detailing how the degree relates.  

Did anyone receive similar RFE and got approval recently? Is your employer into software consulting?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

16 hours ago, naveen9999 said:

Here is RFE from USCIS: Please submit additional evidence that clearly shows beneficiary qualifies for a specialty occupation. Evidence must show how the beneficiary's degree(s) in mechanical engineering qualifies him for the proffered position as a programmer analyst. If the degree is not in a directly related field submit a statement detailing how the degree relates.  

Did anyone receive similar RFE and got approval recently? Is your employer into software consulting?

There are 100's applicants who received this RFE. This is straight forward, you have to prove the your degree or work exp is directly related to your H1 job. Simple.

Is this a new H1B or extension/transfer?

This year they have been going hard on cases where the degree doesn't match the job description. Your lawyer should find a way to reply. If your degree did not have courses directly connected to your job description, you need to have 12 years of experience in that field to qualify.

16 hours ago, naveen9999 said:

Thank you, Neda. I am worried as this is the first time I got RFE on EDUCATION. Do you know anyone personally who got similar RFE recently? 

Yes, myself. Luckily I have both Master's and bachelor's degree related to my H1 job.

Hi Naveen9999,

I also got the same RFE for my Mechanical Engineering degree. Can you let me know your case status after you replied for your RFE? Also, can you let me know all the documents what you submitted to support your case.

It all depends on how the supporting documentation is prepared. There are jobs which involves  both computers and aspects of mechanical engineering. If you are into such a job, your attorney will not have any problems to address the RFE. Unfortunately there are not many jobs like that!

You mentioned your job title is programmer analyst. If your job falls in to the  normal software development category (ex : Web apps development/database administrator/SAP consultant etc), your attorney should create some solid documentation explaining how your degree in mechanical engineering is relevant for your programmer job. 

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Edited by The Other Guy

i had exact RFE. I have Mechanical Engineering degree and working in EC model. My attorney submitted Technical evaluation for RFE and got it approved for 3 years.

Technical evaluation should be  very detailed; It should have your technical experience, skills in details and professor should relate that experience to Computer Engineering courses and evaluate your ability to perform Software related job. All the best

On 1/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, kmnr said:

i had exact RFE. I have Mechanical Engineering degree and working in EC model. My attorney submitted Technical evaluation for RFE and got it approved for 3 years.

Technical evaluation should be  very detailed; It should have your technical experience, skills in details and professor should relate that experience to Computer Engineering courses and evaluate your ability to perform Software related job. All the best

Thank you KMNR

On 1/8/2018 at 7:21 AM, kmnr said:

Hi Kmnr, I have the same rfe, is technical evaluation same as educational evaluation+work experience evaluation and equating it to a US computer bachelors? Can you share the evaluation firm details that worked on your evaluation. Thank you

my attorney used "Trust forte  Corporation" services for replying to my RFE. 

yes, in my case, technical evaluation is same  as educational +work experience evaluation and equating it to a US computer bachelors. 

All the best..
Edited by kmnr

On 1/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, kmnr said:

yes, in my case, technical evaluation is same  as educational +work experience evaluation and equating it to a US computer bachelors. 

All the best..

Thank you kmnr. 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, kmnr said:

All the best..

Could you please tell me if you also had a master's degree and how many years of IT work experience you had?

I have Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and no Masters Degree with 13+ IT Development experience. How ever my attorney considered only 5+ years of my Experience from my previous companies to do the Technical evaluation for responding to RFE.

Hi Naveen

On 11/27/2017 at 5:24 PM, naveen9999 said:

Hi Naveen9999, what was the outcome on your case. can you please advise. 

On 1/6/2018 at 6:44 PM, The Other Guy said:

It all depends on how the supporting documentation is prepared. There are jobs which involves  both computers and aspects of mechanical engineering. If you are into such a job, your attorney will not have any problems to address the RFE. Unfortunately there are not many jobs like that!

You mentioned your job title is programmer analyst. If your job falls in to the  normal software development category (ex : Web apps development/database administrator/SAP consultant etc), your attorney should create some solid documentation explaining how your degree in mechanical engineering is relevant for your programmer job. 

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Got approval. Thank you for the help.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, kmnr said:

Edited by SDIV

On 1/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, rkarthys77 said:

Hi Naveen9999,

I also got the same RFE for my Mechanical Engineering degree. Can you let me know your case status after you replied for your RFE? Also, can you let me know all the documents what you submitted to support your case.

Hi rkarthys77, could you please share any update on your case? How many years of IT experience do you have? I have only 5+ years of IT experience and unrelated degree. Is your case similar?

Hi All,

I want to share my experience and Success Story with "Specialty Occupation RFE" for my H1B Transfer on the Sr Business Analyst role.

Here are the details and timeline,

USCIS Location - Vermont Processing Center

Employment - Full Time (No consulting)

Role - Sr Business Analyst

Degree - I have a Bachelors equivalent degree in Information Technology

Experience - Over 15 years of experience

Wage Level - III

• H1B transfer filed in Regular Processing and receipt received - Late August 2017
  • Converted to Premium Processing and receipt received - Early January 2018
  • RFE for "Specialty Occupation" received - Mid January 2018
  • Response to RFE filed and acknowledged by USCIS on Mid-April 2018 (on the 89th day to be precise)
  • H1B Transfer Approval received - Late April 2018

Apart from standard documentation around role and responsibilities with % of work on each of them, I provided following documentation to the lawyer,

• Description and details on the technical subjects I studied while pursuing my degrees and how they are relevant to my work
  • Work Products I authored as a Sr Business Analyst and how they are of technical in nature. Also, how important they are in the process of Software Product Development and how software engineering team is dependent on those work products. (This was documented as a matrix in an excel sheet along with actual work products. Some examples are Data Flow Chart showing relationships among various data elements, Specs for the data report showing details at the field level)

My lawyer collected documentation around,

• Details of my company's practices while hiring similar profiles (requirement of Bachelor’s degree and number of years of experience etc.)
  • She also collected letters from other employers in the same industry describing their practices while hiring similar profiles in general.

Important things I learnt from the process of filing RFE Response,

• Don't panic (Easy said than done. I panicked and it didn't help at all so try and keep the stress levels low for yourself)
  • Believe in yourself, your organization and the lawyer if you are not on the wrong side of the rules.
  • Don't hesitate to provide suggestions to your lawyer and provide any documentation you feel would help your case (there's no cap on how many supporting documents you send but make sure you are sending only relevant ones)
  • Be patient, it's a nerve wracking process but apart from providing documentation there's hardly anything you can do about it
  • Last and very important one - Always keep "Plan B" ready

All the Best

On 5/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, ChinmayK said:

Hi All,

I want to share my experience and Success Story with "Specialty Occupation RFE" for my H1B Transfer on the Sr Business Analyst role.

Here are the details and timeline,

USCIS Location - Vermont Processing Center

Employment - Full Time (No consulting)

Role - Sr Business Analyst

Degree - I have a Bachelors equivalent degree in Information Technology

Experience - Over 15 years of experience

Wage Level - III

• H1B transfer filed in Regular Processing and receipt received - Late August 2017
  • Converted to Premium Processing and receipt received - Early January 2018
  • RFE for "Specialty Occupation" received - Mid January 2018
  • Response to RFE filed and acknowledged by USCIS on Mid-April 2018 (on the 89th day to be precise)
  • H1B Transfer Approval received - Late April 2018

Apart from standard documentation around role and responsibilities with % of work on each of them, I provided following documentation to the lawyer,

• Description and details on the technical subjects I studied while pursuing my degrees and how they are relevant to my work
  • Work Products I authored as a Sr Business Analyst and how they are of technical in nature. Also, how important they are in the process of Software Product Development and how software engineering team is dependent on those work products. (This was documented as a matrix in an excel sheet along with actual work products. Some examples are Data Flow Chart showing relationships among various data elements, Specs for the data report showing details at the field level)

My lawyer collected documentation around,

• Details of my company's practices while hiring similar profiles (requirement of Bachelor’s degree and number of years of experience etc.)
  • She also collected letters from other employers in the same industry describing their practices while hiring similar profiles in general.

Important things I learnt from the process of filing RFE Response,

• Don't panic (Easy said than done. I panicked and it didn't help at all so try and keep the stress levels low for yourself)
  • Believe in yourself, your organization and the lawyer if you are not on the wrong side of the rules.
  • Don't hesitate to provide suggestions to your lawyer and provide any documentation you feel would help your case (there's no cap on how many supporting documents you send but make sure you are sending only relevant ones)
  • Be patient, it's a nerve wracking process but apart from providing documentation there's hardly anything you can do about it
  • Last and very important one - Always keep "Plan B" ready

All the Best

Hi Chinmay.. could you please elaborate on ‘work product you are authorized as a sr Business Analyst’?

I got the similar RFE. Need to prove this.

Thanks!

Hi  im in same boat - RFE for speciality occupation for Business analyst. I have an MBA but in industry for 13+ years and have detailed roles and responsibilities experience letters from previous employers. Can you share with me how you went about linking your subjects to your job. my email is solangeoikos@gmail.com 

Hi Naveen ,

Could you please kindly help me with my RFE. I see you had similar specialty occupation RFE last year . In my case I have bachelors in Mechanical Eng and Master in MBA (USA). can you please elaborate on how you responded to the RFE. Thanks in advance!