Passport Renewal - Current on F2 Visa

csr333

Hi,

I am currently on F1 Visa and my passport (Indian Citizen) is going to expire on 13-Jul-2018.

I am planning to visit India on 17-Dec-2017 and want to return to US on 18-Jan-2018. I have following questions regarding my ticket booking, immigration and passport renewal.

1) Can I book the tickets on my current passport?

2) Can I apply for new passport once I am back in USA after 18th Jan. (Will they allow me at Port of Entry, on my old passport as it will have less than 6 months validity by 18th Jan)?

3) Can I apply for new passport while I am India? (Will they issue me the new one in one or two weeks as my visit is only for 1 month)

4) or Do I have to apply for a new passport in USA now and wait for it to book my tickets?

Kindly Advice.

Thank You.

Chandra Sekhar

On 11/17/2017 at 7:19 AM, csr333 said:

Hi,

I am currently on F1 Visa and my passport (Indian Citizen) is going to expire on 13-Jul-2018.

I am planning to visit India on 17-Dec-2017 and want to return to US on 18-Jan-2018. I have following questions regarding my ticket booking, immigration and passport renewal.

1) Can I book the tickets on my current passport?

2) Can I apply for new passport once I am back in USA after 18th Jan. (Will they allow me at Port of Entry, on my old passport as it will have less than 6 months validity by 18th Jan)?

3) Can I apply for new passport while I am India? (Will they issue me the new one in one or two weeks as my visit is only for 1 month)

4) or Do I have to apply for a new passport in USA now and wait for it to book my tickets?

Kindly Advice.

Thank You.

Chandra Sekhar

Best thing is to apply for renewal right now and then book tickets. Will not take more than 2 weeks. And if you go in person it will be 3 or 4 business days. Reason is when you return they will issue I-94 till July 2018. Then you have to again go through hassle of renewing I-94.

Archived