H1B renewal after DUI - Admin Processing

On #1 - Please go through the other comments in this thread, where people have posted a detailed timeline of their experiences. 

To re-summarize - It took roughly 1 month after the interview to receive the letter which asked me to submit the passport, and 1 week after for the CEACC status to change to 'Issued', and 3 days after I got my passport delivered over BlueDart.

YMMV depending on the consulate and time of year. 

Take a look at this post for a timeline on other's experience

http://forum.murthy.com/topic/112339-h1b-renewal-after-dui-admin-processing/?do=findComment&comment=428118

http://forum.murthy.com/topic/112339-h1b-renewal-after-dui-admin-processing/?do=findComment&comment=428122

On #2 - Hospital submits the hospital document to VFS AFAIK. Following up is futile

On #3 - See #1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/27/2018 at 4:49 PM, rvk2ab said:

First things first , Please come back and post your experience once you get your stamping done. Many once they get their Visa do not bother to come back to the forum and post it. That is rude and do not help other's . Please come back and post your experience.

I had posted my experience @ Chennai consulate  from 2014 . 

Once your Medical Evaluation is done , Apollo will send Consulate the documents in 2-3 days. 

Once Consulate receive the documents they processed my Visa in 5 days and requested my passport for stamping.

I sent them the passport and received it back in 5 days with the stamp. I have put the detail timeline in my post , look for it in my profile

Good Luck!

I will surely come back post a detailed experience with timelines and events. 

Thanks for your comments.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:04 PM, remremfnov said:

On #1 - Please go through the other comments in this thread, where people have posted a detailed timeline of their experiences. 

To re-summarize - It took roughly 1 month after the interview to receive the letter which asked me to submit the passport, and 1 week after for the CEACC status to change to 'Issued', and 3 days after I got my passport delivered over BlueDart.

YMMV depending on the consulate and time of year. 

Take a look at this post for a timeline on other's experience

http://forum.murthy.com/topic/112339-h1b-renewal-after-dui-admin-processing/?do=findComment&comment=428118

http://forum.murthy.com/topic/112339-h1b-renewal-after-dui-admin-processing/?do=findComment&comment=428122

On #2 - Hospital submits the hospital document to VFS AFAIK. Following up is futile

On #3 - See #1

Thank you. Just reached out NVC at Washington. The call centre representative told that she is seeing an update on the case as to "Submit passport" to the consulate. I told her I did not recive any communication or email. She asked me to reach out to the consulate. 

Any idea whom should I follow up with? VAC or call them Chennai consulate number itself?

Finally got an Email today from Chennai, H&L to submit passport. 

Dear Applicant, 

With reference to your U.S. Visa application, we kindly request you to submit your passport and attached 221g letter at the nearest Visa Application Centre. 

Regards 
Chennai, H&L 
U.S Consulate General 

Submitted the passport to VAC, Chennai today itself. 

The Lady at VAC did not take any documents other than passport as mentioned in the 221g letter. I tried to tell her about the VO asking for the court documents but she insisted that it was not asked in the 221g letter. 

Now fingers crossed and waiting for the next update.

Timeline so far:

1. Interview @ Chennai Consulate: 26th Feb 2018

2. Medical evaluated completed: 26th Feb 2018

3. Reports Sent by Apollo hospital to Consulate: 28th Feb 2018

4. Email received to submit passport: 5th March 2018

5. Passport submitted to Chennai VAC : 5th March 2018

23 hours ago, HellBoy_ATL said:

Finally got an Email today from Chennai, H&L to submit passport. 

Dear Applicant, 

With reference to your U.S. Visa application, we kindly request you to submit your passport and attached 221g letter at the nearest Visa Application Centre. 

Regards 
Chennai, H&L 
U.S Consulate General 

Submitted the passport to VAC, Chennai today itself. 

The Lady at VAC did not take any documents other than passport as mentioned in the 221g letter. I tried to tell her about the VO asking for the court documents but she insisted that it was not asked in the 221g letter. 

Now fingers crossed and waiting for the next update.

Timeline so far:

1. Interview @ Chennai Consulate: 26th Feb 2018

2. Medical evaluated completed: 26th Feb 2018

3. Reports Sent by Apollo hospital to Consulate: 28th Feb 2018

4. Email received to submit passport: 5th March 2018

5. Passport submitted to Chennai VAC : 5th March 2018

Cool. Typically it takes <10 days from here to get the passport in hand. Good luck :) 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, remremfnov said:

Cool. Typically it takes <10 days from here to get the passport in hand. Good luck :) 

Turned out to be much quicker. 

The CEAC status got changed to "ISSUED" yesterday, Tracking passport now. Chose premium delivery, I should have it delivered to my home by tomorrow.

Posting a detailed timeline of my stamping in Chennai consulate on Feb 2018 with a DUI arrest. Hope it is helpful

Oct '12 - Arrested for DUI in Portland, Maine. BAC : 0.08

Apr '12 -  Hired a good criminal lawyer. Got the case dismissed with Court fines and DUI classes. Not convicted.

April '14 - Travelled to India for my wedding and had to stamp my visa. Was very nervous. But at the Chennai consulate everything was going fine, No questions asked about my arrest. Visa issued.

Travelled to India couple of times with stamped visa. No issues at POE. No questions on arrest.

Did not travel for a visa stamping until Feb '18. Meanwhile, changed employer, Got 1 H1B extension and 1 amendement with 1-140 approved.

26 Feb '18: Went to Chennai for interviewGot 221g for Medical examination. Was confident that the case was expunged and the arrest record would not popup like the last Visa Interview. But, the VO asked the court records based on my DS-160. So I am pretty sure, they have put in checks in their system to highlight the "Yes" to an arrest. Going forward DUI cases are 221g for sure, no escape.

I went to Apollo the same day at around 91.5 AM, paid INR 16K (Yes, they have increased the price) and they did a blood test, urine test, Chest XRAY, a full body check up, General doctor consultation and psych analysis. Nothing to be concerned here if you have stopped drinking or occasional drinker. I was done with all by 2PM. Took the flight back to home town at 4PM. 

Make sure to carry 12 or so photographs and photocopy of passport, DS160, Appointment letter and the Instruction sheet given by the VO. Be prepared to keep asking for updates in the hospital counter and running around to different departments to get your things done on time. They will not follow up with you and you would be kept waiting.

The CEAC status at this point was Administrative Processing and last updated date of 26th Feb.

28 Feb '18: Called up Hospital and they confirmed the reports are sent out and I should call VAC in 2 days or else wait for the email from consulate.

Keep calling the NVC Washington  +1 (603) 334-0888. They can see the comments on the actual CEAC case and provide more details than the VAC folks. They are the ones who told me consulate is requesting the passport after 2 days of submission of medical reports which is well before the email sent out.

5 March 2018 - I receive a email from Consulate which has a 221g letter attached which asked  me to submit my passport to any of VAC . The CEAC website had no updates at this point, and last updated date continued to be 26th Feb..

5 March 2018 - I submit my passport, along with the 221(g) at VAC in Chennai. Download 2 copies of 'Document Submission Letter' from the UStravelDocs website. This too has to be submitted along with the passport. One copy will be stamped and be given back as acknowledgement. The VAC folks will not take any other documents (like Police records/Court document) if its not asked in the 221g

7 March 2018- 'Last Updated' date in CEAC finally changed for the first time to  7th March from 26th Feb .. The status continued to remain Administrative Processing. So it took roughly one week after I submitted my passport for the status to change. 

Called is NVC to see for new updates, they told case under final review and the was updated recently. Also assured it is usually a good thing. Told me to call next day for any updates.

8 March 2018- In the afternoon CEAC status changed to 'Issued' from 'Administrative Processing'. USTravelDocs status changed at around noon to 'Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery'. 

10 March 2018 - Should receive the passport soon.Tracking bluedart reference number for delivery.

Thanks everyone in the forum for all the support and opinion. Helped me a lot to understand the process and assurance of having the possibility of getting Visa stamped.

Lastly, My humble request to everyone reading this post, please don't drink and drive. Its not worth it. Please spread this even to your friends who you see taking it casually and driving after couple beers.

Timelines: I should consider my self very lucky as the visa was issued  in just  10 days after the interview. Email to submit passport was sent 2 working days after medical reports. Passport stamped after 3 working days after submission.

Will update the POE experience soon.

Reach out to me for any other specific questions. 

Edited by HellBoy_ATL
14 hours ago, HellBoy_ATL said:

Posting a detailed timeline of my stamping in Chennai consulate on Feb 2018 with a DUI arrest. Hope it is helpful

Apr '12 -  Hired a good criminal lawyer. Got the case dismissed with Court fines and DUI classes. Not convicted.

April '14 - Travelled to India for my wedding and had to stamp my visa. Was very nervous. But at the Chennai consulate everything was going fine, No questions asked about my arrest. Visa issued.

Travelled to India couple of times with stamped visa. No issues at POE. No questions on arrest.

Did not travel for a visa stamping until Feb '18. Meanwhile, changed employer, Got 1 H1B extension and 1 amendement with 1-140 approved.

26 Feb '18: Went to Chennai for interviewGot 221g for Medical examination. Was confident that the case was expunged and the arrest record would not popup like the last Visa Interview. But, the VO asked the court records based on my DS-160. So I am pretty sure, they have put in checks in their system to highlight the "Yes" to an arrest. Going forward DUI cases are 221g for sure, no escape.

I went to Apollo the same day at around 91.5 AM, paid INR 16K (Yes, they have increased the price) and they did a blood test, urine test, Chest XRAY, a full body check up, General doctor consultation and psych analysis. Nothing to be concerned here if you have stopped drinking or occasional drinker. I was done with all by 2PM. Took the flight back to home town at 4PM. 

Make sure to carry 12 or so photographs and photocopy of passport, DS160, Appointment letter and the Instruction sheet given by the VO. Be prepared to keep asking for updates in the hospital counter and running around to different departments to get your things done on time. They will not follow up with you and you would be kept waiting.

The CEAC status at this point was Administrative Processing and last updated date of 26th Feb.

28 Feb '18: Called up Hospital and they confirmed the reports are sent out and I should call VAC in 2 days or else wait for the email from consulate.

Keep calling the NVC Washington  +1 (603) 334-0888. They can see the comments on the actual CEAC case and provide more details than the VAC folks. They are the ones who told me consulate is requesting the passport after 2 days of submission of medical reports which is well before the email sent out.

5 March 2018 - I receive a email from Consulate which has a 221g letter attached which asked  me to submit my passport to any of VAC . The CEAC website had no updates at this point, and last updated date continued to be 26th Feb..

5 March 2018 - I submit my passport, along with the 221(g) at VAC in Chennai. Download 2 copies of 'Document Submission Letter' from the UStravelDocs website. This too has to be submitted along with the passport. One copy will be stamped and be given back as acknowledgement. The VAC folks will not take any other documents (like Police records/Court document) if its not asked in the 221g

7 March 2018- 'Last Updated' date in CEAC finally changed for the first time to  7th March from 26th Feb .. The status continued to remain Administrative Processing. So it took roughly one week after I submitted my passport for the status to change. 

Called is NVC to see for new updates, they told case under final review and the was updated recently. Also assured it is usually a good thing. Told me to call next day for any updates.

8 March 2018- In the afternoon CEAC status changed to 'Issued' from 'Administrative Processing'. USTravelDocs status changed at around noon to 'Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery'. 

10 March 2018 - Should receive the passport soon.Tracking bluedart reference number for delivery.

Thanks everyone in the forum for all the support and opinion. Helped me a lot to understand the process and assurance of having the possibility of getting Visa stamped.

Lastly, My humble request to everyone reading this post, please don't drink and drive. Its not worth it. Please spread this even to your friends who you see taking it casually and driving after couple beers.

Timelines: I should consider my self very lucky as the visa was issued  in just  10 days after the interview. Email to submit passport was sent 2 working days after medical reports. Passport stamped after 3 working days after submission.

That was incredibly fast! Congrats.. Glad the period of uncertainty is over. And thanks for posting your detailed experience.

Hi All,

In the same situation, unfortunately. Totally echo the comment of not drinking and driving - completely not worth it! 

In Delhi for H1 stamping. timeline so far:

March 16, 2018: Visa appointment at consulate. Get 221(g) for medical eval and court documents. got the medical eval done yesterday and the report should be ready early next week. Targeting march 21st to submit all docs to the VAC. 

My question: in the yellow 221(g) that i assume you guys got as well, the VO wrote "medical panel and court docs". Does that mean that they won't take my passport at the VAC next week? 

Would really appreciate a response here - super anxious about this process, as i am sure you are all aware.

Thanks! 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:15 PM, HellBoy_ATL said:

Thanks again for the detailed post here! Any chance you can comment on my previous post about dropping passport along with court docs and medical report? 

Also, did you have to take an appointment at the VAC to drop off the report and court docs or could you just drop them off without an appointment? 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:20 PM, Qwerty2135 said:

Hi All,

In the same situation, unfortunately. Totally echo the comment of not drinking and driving - completely not worth it! 

In Delhi for H1 stamping. timeline so far:

March 16, 2018: Visa appointment at consulate. Get 221(g) for medical eval and court documents. got the medical eval done yesterday and the report should be ready early next week. Targeting march 21st to submit all docs to the VAC. 

My question: in the yellow 221(g) that i assume you guys got as well, the VO wrote "medical panel and court docs". Does that mean that they won't take my passport at the VAC next week? 

Would really appreciate a response here - super anxious about this process, as i am sure you are all aware.

Thanks! 

They'll collect your passport as well at VAC.

You can drop them off without an appointment. Just make sure to carry the letter from the consulate that asks you to submit the documents along with  2 copies of 'Document Submission Letter' from the UStravelDocs website

On 3/18/2018 at 6:37 AM, Qwerty2135 said:

Thanks again for the detailed post here! Any chance you can comment on my previous post about dropping passport along with court docs and medical report? 

Also, did you have to take an appointment at the VAC to drop off the report and court docs or could you just drop them off without an appointment? 

I was not asked to drop any documents apart from passport after the medical reports were directly sent from the hospital to consulate.  I received an explicit email with a copy of 221g which only had ‘submit passport’ ticked on it. Also the VAC folks will not accept any documents which are not mentioned on your 221g letter or email. 

In your case, if you are asked to submit documents & medical reports. Then you should follow as instructed. You can also call the NVC number to see if they are requesting passport along with the other documents. Usually passport will be submitted with the documents for visa stamping.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Submitted passport and report on the 21st. Status still says admin processing with the last update on March 16, the date of my interview. Called national visa center and they said that the embassy received my docs and passport on Friday March 23. So, roughly a week and no updates. 

Had been reading these forums for a while now, mentally preparing for the wait and anxiety. Totally different actually going through it. 

Hi,

May 12, 2016 - Got arrested for DUI in Long Island, NY.

May 13, 2016 - Charged with DUI and few other violations. Hired a DUI lawyer and pled guilty. Had 49 hours of community service. License suspended for 90 days. Got a conditional driving license in 30 days. Case got dismissed in June 2016. Changed employer in October 2016, got RFE for the arrest record and court documents, submitted the court documents including disposition certificate, and finally petition approved for 3 years.

October 23, 2017 - Landed in India on Oct 22nd morning and finished the Biometrics on the same day in the afternoon. Appeared for the visa interview on Oct 23rd. There are so many standard questions like emplyoyer name, client...etc and finally VO asked about my arrest. I explained him the situation and handed over all the arrest records and court papers. I was given an yellow slip and was asked to be seated. After 30 mins I was called in for another round this time with a different VO (Indian) in a different couter. She was also asking about this incident. How did it happen? why?....etc. She also asked me to wait. About 30 mins later they asked to me to go to the previous counter where the VO interviewed me. He returned all the dcouments to me including the passport with a 221g slip and asked me to follow the instructions on the slip. I said thank you and have a great day and left the place.

The checkbox "Other" had been ticked with the writing "Medical Report - Directly submitted from hospital". They gave me another printout where the hospital name and address had been mentioned. It's Apollo Hospitals, Chennai.

October 24, 2017 - I went to Apollo hospitals on the next day and finished all the necessary tests and evaluations. Checked with the management guy while paying the cash for the medical report and he said the report will be delivered within 2-3 business days. I requested him that is it possible to send the report on the next day. He said we will try..

October 26, 2017 - I called the Apollo hospitals and they confirmed that the medical report has been dispatched by Oct 25th 4PM. However on Oct 26th, on the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx, I was still seeing "Case Created" and "Case Last Updated" as 23-Oct-2017. There was no change in the Case Last Updated so I thought I will give it 3-4 days for the status change.

I waited for 10 more days and the "Case Last Updated" was never updated and was still showing 23-Oct-2017. I called the ustraveldocs support guys and explained the situation and they said the time taken varies case to case so you need to wait at least 60 days for the consulate to act on your case. It was really frustrating and I decided to be patient as I cannot control this and it is not in my hand.

I waited for 60 days and there was no change in the "Case Last Updated" hence decided to email support-india@ustraveldocs.com. The response I got from them is "In response to your question, our records indicate the visa application is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate. When additional administrative processing is required, the length of processing time will vary based on the circumstances of each case hence it cannot be expedited."

I also contacted the immigration attorney along with my employer and she also made an inquiry by Jan 2nd week 2018. She also received the standard response but she said there will be a complete security check that's why there could be a delay and also there is a big backlog for 221g cases so we cannot guarantee a time frame. She also said that we can make the next inquiry only 60 days from the date of the first inquiry from her end but I am not sure how far it is true :-(

Even today, April 4, 2018 at the time of writing this the "Case Last Updated" shows only 23-Oct-2017. It's been 5.5 months since the submission of the medical report and really a big frustration. My immigration attorney is preparing to make another inquiry with USCIS.

I have been very transparent with my manager and I am having a critical role in my project. So somehow he is able to manage to keep me in the projects. Last month he has extended my contract till June 30th 2018. But he said after June 30th it is out of his conrol and he may not be in a position to help me out in my contract extension.

I don't know what else I can do apart from trying to get an update with the help of my immigration attorney and trying to get an update myself from the support-india@ustraveldocs. I made an inquiry today and hoping to get an update from them. 

Please provide your inputs and guide me if I can do anything else other than waiting for them to provide me an update.

Thanks.

Hi,

As per my friend's suggestion I sent emails to the following email addresses apart from support-india@ustraveldocs,com,

chennaih&l@state.gov, nivnd@state.gov, hlprocessing@state.gov, chennaiNIV@state.gov.

As soon as I sent the emails I got the standard response from everyone. On the next day 3rd April 2018, I received the following email from chennaih&l@state.gov

KIND ATTN. : MR. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

With reference to your U.S. Visa application,  we kindly request you to submit your passport and a printout of this e-mail at one of the 5 Visa Application Centers (VACs) or 6 VFS offices.  To locate the 5 VACs and 6 VFS offices closest to you, please check the website WWW.USTRAVELDOCS.com/in.  There will be no fee charged for this service.

Regards,

Chennai H&L

American Consulate General

So I am going to submit the passport tomorrow which is 4th April 2018. I hope everything goes smooth hereafter.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 1:00 AM, Qwerty2135 said:

Submitted passport and report on the 21st. Status still says admin processing with the last update on March 16, the date of my interview. Called national visa center and they said that the embassy received my docs and passport on Friday March 23. So, roughly a week and no updates. 

Had been reading these forums for a while now, mentally preparing for the wait and anxiety. Totally different actually going through it. 

Did you get your visa?

• 6 months later...

I had received DUI in Jul 2013.

I had appeared for L1B Visa interview at Chennai Consualte and had received 221 (g). I had gone through medical examination in 2015 and had received the Visa.

I again appeared for L1 Individual Visa interview at Chennai Consulate on 31-Oct-2018 again received 221 (g) form and consulate officer requested Medical examination as well as Police Records. 

Interview Date:  31-Oct-2018

Completed Medical examination at Apollo Chennai: 31-Oct-2018

Apollo Confirmed that medical records were sent to  Consulate on 02-Nov-18

It has been almost 2 weeks and still the Passport status shows as with Embassy and Consulate.

While CEAC website still shows the status as Administrative Processing.

I want to know if someone has any recent experience on Visa Stamping and processing time and when can I expect a update from Consulate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I got a DUI in June'16 and came to H1B stamping to Hyderabad, India. Below is my process updates. 

March 11, 2019 - OFC

March 12, 2019 - Interview

VO: I see that your visa has been revoked.

Me: Yes mam, I got a DUI in June'16 and I completed all the necessary things (Fine, DUI classes, community service). 

VO: Ok. I need you to treat you differently and handed me a 221 G (yellow slip) which had Panel physician details and information. 

Me: Thank you. 

March 14, 2019 - Visited panel physician and finished the process.

March 18, 2019 - Received a call from hospital to update me that they have sent my reports to consulate through an email. 

It's been over two weeks I haven't received an update from consulate to drop my passport and on CEAC site the status shows as administrative processing. Is there anyone who had in the same situation in the past or now who attended interview in Hyderabad, India and gone through the same process as me. 

Thanks in advance. Your reply would be really helpful.  

On 4/3/2018 at 10:38 PM, Longwait_ak said:

Hi,

As per my friend's suggestion I sent emails to the following email addresses apart from support-india@ustraveldocs,com,

chennaih&l@state.gov, nivnd@state.gov, hlprocessing@state.gov, chennaiNIV@state.gov.

As soon as I sent the emails I got the standard response from everyone. On the next day 3rd April 2018, I received the following email from chennaih&l@state.gov

KIND ATTN. : MR. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

With reference to your U.S. Visa application,  we kindly request you to submit your passport and a printout of this e-mail at one of the 5 Visa Application Centers (VACs) or 6 VFS offices.  To locate the 5 VACs and 6 VFS offices closest to you, please check the website WWW.USTRAVELDOCS.com/in.  There will be no fee charged for this service.

Regards,

Chennai H&L

American Consulate General

So I am going to submit the passport tomorrow which is 4th April 2018. I hope everything goes smooth hereafter.

Thanks

Hi @Longwait_ak Thanks for posting your detailed experience. I have attended my interview n Hyderabad. Do you know the email addresses where I can send an email for an update, like you mentioned above for chennai consulate? 

It's been over two weeks that consulate received my medical reports but I haven't heard anything from them asking me to drop passport or I don't see an update on CEAC site as well. 

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello, 

I appeared for an H1-B interview in Hyderabad on Nov 4, 2019 and was issued a 221(g) DUI for a DUI charge from 2004. 
I had one successful H1-B issuance (no questions asked) in 2016, but not this time around. 
I went to the medical interview and after being told that the medical report was submitted to the US consulate, I received an email from the consulate that I needed to reappear for the medical test, which I did. 
About a week ago I received an email to submit the passport at VAC. I did that and got an email today that my passport is ready for pickup. 
I picked up the passport and still no visa. I was handed a letter to reappear for an interview with the US consular officer again any day of my choosing at a certain hour. 
Please let me know if anyone here has undergone something like this before?
Needless to say, this 2 month ordeal now has gone in circles and has been stressful. 

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:03 AM, Amfinn said:

Hello, 

I appeared for an H1-B interview in Hyderabad on Nov 4, 2019 and was issued a 221(g) DUI for a DUI charge from 2004. 
I had one successful H1-B issuance (no questions asked) in 2016, but not this time around. 
I went to the medical interview and after being told that the medical report was submitted to the US consulate, I received an email from the consulate that I needed to reappear for the medical test, which I did. 
About a week ago I received an email to submit the passport at VAC. I did that and got an email today that my passport is ready for pickup. 
I picked up the passport and still no visa. I was handed a letter to reappear for an interview with the US consular officer again any day of my choosing at a certain hour. 
Please let me know if anyone here has undergone something like this before?
Needless to say, this 2 month ordeal now has gone in circles and has been stressful. 

Thank you.

Hi, 

I am in a similar situation like yours. Just want to know if you have any update after you appeared to the Visa interview. Any response would be really helpful. Could you please let me know your status.