F1 Reason confusion

rohitsud04

Hi
I need help regarding my wife's visa situation please.

We both have a current stamping on the passport till 12/31/2017.
We also have a new I797 which is now valid till 08/2019.

My wife is studying for MS here, and plans to go to India in December 2017 to get her visa converted to an F1 visa (to be eligible for OPT later).

Since her F1 visa appointment date will be in Jan, and the current H4 visa will not be valid at that time, does she need an I20 with issuance reason as Initial attendance or an I20 with issuance reason as Change of Status? 

If she wants to get the visa changed as Change of Status, does she need to first get her H4 stamped before going for the F1 stamping?

thanks
RS

On 11/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, rohitsud04 said:

Hi
I need help regarding my wife's visa situation please.

We both have a current stamping on the passport till 12/31/2017.
We also have a new I797 which is now valid till 08/2019.

My wife is studying for MS here, and plans to go to India in December 2017 to get her visa converted to an F1 visa (to be eligible for OPT later).

Since her F1 visa appointment date will be in Jan, and the current H4 visa will not be valid at that time, does she need an I20 with issuance reason as Initial attendance or an I20 with issuance reason as Change of Status? 

If she wants to get the visa changed as Change of Status, does she need to first get her H4 stamped before going for the F1 stamping?

thanks
RS

Contact the DSO. They will guide you.

No need of getting H-4 visa. She can directly get an F-1.

Archived