L2 to H4 conversion query

rmohan1

I am working on the L1-B visa and resides in US . The visa and i-94  are valid until Sep 2018..

My H1-B petition got approved this year and i received  the I-797-B approval notice. While submitting the petition i opted for change of status and not consular processing. But still i received a I-797 B for which doesn't have an extended i-94.

1 ) Is there any specific reason for getting a I-797 B rather than I-797 A?

My Spouse's   I-94 got expired on Sep 2017 and child’s I-94 is getting expired on Dec 2017.   I filed the I-539  for extending the status for L2  and later I filed another I-539 for H4 conversion for the dependents.  I received the I-797A approval notices for the I-539  for H4 conversion for my dependents  with  extended I-94. 

But I didn’t receive any approval notice for the I-539 submitted for the L2 extension.  I got a letter specifying that USCIS received the request for the L2 extension.

I came to know that my status will change to H1 only after stamping the visa.

2) What will be my dependent’s current status?  Are they in L2 to H4? Since they received a I797 A ,is their status changed to H4?

3) Is my spouse eligible to work until my H1B visa is stamped before my i-94 expiry? (she is having a valid L2 EAD)

Appreciate your timely responses. 

Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 11/14/2017 at 12:46 AM, rmohan1 said:

I am working on the L1-B visa and resides in US . The visa and i-94  are valid until Sep 2018..

My H1-B petition got approved this year and i received  the I-797-B approval notice. While submitting the petition i opted for change of status and not consular processing. But still i received a I-797 B for which doesn't have an extended i-94.

1 ) Is there any specific reason for getting a I-797 B rather than I-797 A?

My Spouse's   I-94 got expired on Sep 2017 and child’s I-94 is getting expired on Dec 2017.   I filed the I-539  for extending the status for L2  and later I filed another I-539 for H4 conversion for the dependents.  I received the I-797A approval notices for the I-539  for H4 conversion for my dependents  with  extended I-94. 

But I didn’t receive any approval notice for the I-539 submitted for the L2 extension.  I got a letter specifying that USCIS received the request for the L2 extension.

I came to know that my status will change to H1 only after stamping the visa.

2) What will be my dependent’s current status?  Are they in L2 to H4? Since they received a I797 A ,is their status changed to H4?

3) Is my spouse eligible to work until my H1B visa is stamped before my i-94 expiry? (she is having a valid L2 EAD)

Appreciate your timely responses. 

Thanks

Hi, I've this exact same situation. Did you get an answer? What did you do? Appreciate if you can share.