F1 Visa Denied by USCIS on date conflict

Pearl21

Thanks in advance for the help!

I entered US on a B1/B2 visitor visa and after securing admission in a University, filed for COS to F1 3-4 weeks before the I-94 expiry date. Original start date for study was Aug 2017. However, since my COS petition was still pending university changed the start date to Jan 2018.

However, that created a problem and when USCIS was about to review the case and I got this reply from USCIS:

Review of your SEVIS record shows that your initial program start date was August 2017. On September 01, 2017, the program start date was deferred to Jan 2018, more than 30 days after your “B” status expired. As such, USCIS must deny this application

Now, I don’t know if it was university’s responsibility to not change the date or mine to notify USCIS of changed date. But regardless, I just had few questions:

1. Is there any option still available for me to extended/COS from B1/B2, may be a MTR?
  2. If no option is available and I am Out of status, then how many days do I have to book a flight, make travel arrangements and depart from the country? Is there any grace period allowed to wrap up things and then leave?
  3. Will this whole episode cause any problems when I will try to enter the country again?
On 11/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, Pearl21 said:

Thanks in advance for the help!

I entered US on a B1/B2 visitor visa and after securing admission in a University, filed for COS to F1 3-4 weeks before the I-94 expiry date. Original start date for study was Aug 2017. However, since my COS petition was still pending university changed the start date to Jan 2018.

However, that created a problem and when USCIS was about to review the case and I got this reply from USCIS:

Review of your SEVIS record shows that your initial program start date was August 2017. On September 01, 2017, the program start date was deferred to Jan 2018, more than 30 days after your “B” status expired. As such, USCIS must deny this application

Now, I don’t know if it was university’s responsibility to not change the date or mine to notify USCIS of changed date. But regardless, I just had few questions:

1. Is there any option still available for me to extended/COS from B1/B2, may be a MTR?
  2. If no option is available and I am Out of status, then how many days do I have to book a flight, make travel arrangements and depart from the country? Is there any grace period allowed to wrap up things and then leave?
  3. Will this whole episode cause any problems when I will try to enter the country again?

1. Contact an attorney.

2. As soon as possible.

3. Could have an impact.

Archived