221g in Vancouver

gc038

Hi All, 

I got busy with company meetings on Friday. I just landed in USA today. Processing for my case took 14 working days.

2nd Oct: Interview

VO: What do you do for XYZ company

Me : Answered to the point in 2-3 sentences. 

VO: Ok, we need to do some more processing.

Me: Is there any problem with the application.

VO: No, we just need to do some extra processing. Can I see your I-797 and documents.It'll take at-least two weeks. You can take your passport if you want to travel elsewhere and come back when it's done.

Took I-797, resume, bachelor's and master's transcripts and employment letter. I left my passport with the officer. 

Interview: 2nd Oct

First update : 19th Oct: Administrative Processing (Oct 9th was holiday in Canada)

Second update: 20th Oct (Friday AM) : Issued

Pickup mail from Canada post : 23rd Oct (AM) 

At the immigration, the officers were strict with everyone. Their tone was authoritative. 

Officer : Where are you going ?

Me: To City Name, I work there

Officer : What visa are you on ?

Me: H1-B

Officer : How long did you stay in Canada ?

Me: I came in on Oct 1st night

Seems like things are slowly getting done to discourage H1's. We can only speculate, but probably my case was for them to check that there is no US person qualified for the job or the system triggered it due to a previous 221g on F-1. or, it may have been a random check as well, or something in my resume triggered TAL (PS: This could be possible) . 

I did speak to another person whose case was pretty clear cut. This is my H1-B renewal with the same company. 

Hi All,

Just wanted to post a final update on my case status.

Interview date: 6th Oct

Docs collected at interview: passport and I797

Case updated date: 27th Oct

Passport received: 31st Oct.

Number of working days: 17 days ( incl interview date) to receive passport

During the interview, VO asked me general questions about my work and then asked my resume. Since I didn't have it handy, VO gave me a yellow 221g slip and asked me to submit the resume via email. 

After that it was the long, wait with no update until 27th Oct. 

Looks like I am in a situation similar to @vj123

Interview date: 19th Oct

Last case update: 19th Oct - Administrative Processing

Number of working days so far including interview date: 12

During the interview, I was asked some general questions about my work and my Masters. Then the VO asked for my resume. I didn't have it so she gave me the yellow slip circling the email address to send the email to. Made it seem like a formality. It was later that I realized it's a 221g slip. 

This is my first H1B renewal. The first stamping was with a different company though.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my passport back on Thursday 11/16. Complete story:

Interview date: 19th Oct

During the interview, I was asked some general questions about my work and my Masters. Then the VO asked for my resume. I didn't have it so she gave me the yellow slip circling the email address to send the email to. Made it seem like a formality. It was later that I realized it's a 221g slip. 

First case update: 9th Nov - Administrative Processing around 2-3 pm.

Issued: 15th Nov - Long weekend for consulate 10th-13th. So this update came 2 days after the last one. around 10.15 am

Number of working days including interview date: 18

Got the email with tracking info some time in the afternoon on 15th. Got the pick up email on 16th at around 10.30 am.

I drove back to the US the same day. Note that they will definitely take you aside for secondary inspection. But it is nothing to worry about - they do that for the I94. Spent about an hour at the secondary inspection area to get the I94 even though there was no queue of cars at the border. So expect to wait longer if you're crossing at a more popular hour.

Note this was my first H1B renewal. Previous one with a different company. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No replies, but will post my final update just in case anyone else is in this situation. 

Status got updated on 5/16 - exactly 1 month after my interview. 

Issued on 5/17, expecting to pick passports and drive back home tomorrow. 

Archived