Mexico Visa Process

lostpacket

Hello 

My lawyer upgraded my H-1B application in premium today. I want to appear for Visa stamping as soon as possible. I have US Master's and previous Visa stamping was done in India back in 2013. I have the following questions about going to Mexico for Visa interview

1. There is Mexico consulate in NY. I can apply for Mexico tourist visa there. However, I do not have approved I-797A yet. Can I still apply or do I need to wait until I-797 is approved? I live in NJ so NY is closer to me.
  2. Which US Consulate would be good closest to me from NJ? I have eliminated Canada because they take time in getting tourist visa and I have very short time (have to go to India in the first week of December)
On 10/13/2017 at 5:41 PM, lostpacket said:

Hello 

My lawyer upgraded my H-1B application in premium today. I want to appear for Visa stamping as soon as possible. I have US Master's and previous Visa stamping was done in India back in 2013. I have the following questions about going to Mexico for Visa interview

1. There is Mexico consulate in NY. I can apply for Mexico tourist visa there. However, I do not have approved I-797A yet. Can I still apply or do I need to wait until I-797 is approved? I live in NJ so NY is closer to me.
  2. Which US Consulate would be good closest to me from NJ? I have eliminated Canada because they take time in getting tourist visa and I have very short time (have to go to India in the first week of December)

Matamoros can be near by, also recently around 3 guys got stamped successfully in october till date.

You can obtain a visitor's permit at the border upon entering Mexico.  You will need to have your passport with I797 if your latest US visa is expired.  Some Mexican Immigration officers might have a difficult time if you have an expired US visa since they just updated their system and not all are aware of how to process it. 

Archived