J1 fear of persecution waiver

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Cards or anyone

I am really getting nervous, its been 89 days my application was forwarded to DOS. No news. Don't have much time. Thinking of contacting state representative. What are your thoughts. If so how does that work, what is the process. from finding who is my state representative to requesting me. Please anyone who knows this help me. Thanks

Hi Power,

Sorry, I haven't been checking in here. 

You should contact your state representative. Most of them have websites and forms that you can fill in to let them understand what your situation is. 

How much time do you have on your visa? Are you a student or a scholar? If you are a student you can maybe get on academic training which can give you more time. 

Hi waiver applicant

they got my RFE in mid September took more than month to update. My application is with DOS from past 3 months. I would wait total of 3 months. And f you don’t hear back in 90 days then they usually consider. But at this time they will just ask u to wait even if u call. So wait and keep fingers crossed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all!

Reading through people's cases a bit comforting, knowing that I am not alone. I applied on the basis of persecution. I didn't have the lawyer's assistance, so I did it on my own. I submitted my forms to USCIS in September 2017, they were received late September. I called USCIS a few days ago, and they said they are reviewing applications all the way from May 2017. Who else is waiting for their persecution case? The wait is so frustrating

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, Stillwaiting88 said:

Any news applicant 23?

Updates with uscis

Mime still showing received since November 9 

Hey, Stillwaiting88,

I was actually reading your comments on another thread and was about to respond to you. Nothing yet. I called maybe 3 weeks ago, and they specifically said they are looking at cases submitted on May 3, 2017. The woman also mentioned they also implemented a new system, that's why they are so slow. I was like okay, I will call you in a month. She added, my case can take up to 8.5-11.5 months for USCIS to get to, not even to make a decision, but to pick up my case and start looking at it. I am so frustrated. I participated in this exchange program 6-7 years ago. Its like punishment. I have been so eager to talk someone in the same situation as me

On 5/19/2018 at 11:54 PM, Stillwaiting88 said:

Hey applicant 23

Thank you for your response. I totally feel your frustration especially your case was submitted a month or 2 earlier than mine. It is a very long wait and our visa will expire by that time. Hope you will hear good news soon.

I will update you if any changes in my case

Please do! Yes, my I-20 is expires next May, but I still need funding to maintain my F-1 status and pay for school. Some people are talking about contacting the local congress-person. I am thinking about doing that. Did you have a lawyer?

22 hours ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

Yes i have a lawyer and i applied with the help of one. He told when i applied that it will take 7 to 8 month to go to dos and another 4 to 5 months tp hear from dos. And with the delay now we should expect 9 month and another 6 month sp total 15 month at least

I believe that. I wouldn't be surprised if it took even longer than that. I recently briefly talked to a lawyer, he did not represent me or put together my documents. So he said, that my timeline is surely not out of normal. He said he sued the government for delaying a few of his cases that took more than normal time for J1 persecution waiver. He also said that USICS reviewing applications that were sent in July 2017, meanwhile USCIS claims they are reviewing May cases. Differing answers. Since I didn't have a lawyer, do you mind me asking you how you put together your evidence? I found some old articles that show how I was affected by human rights violations. I also put together reports from Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, etc. If you are okay discussing this, otherwise I understand your privacy. Keep in touch, I will let you know about any updates as well.

22 hours ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

Yes i have a lawyer and i applied with the help of one. He told when i applied that it will take 7 to 8 month to go to dos and another 4 to 5 months tp hear from dos. And with the delay now we should expect 9 month and another 6 month sp total 15 month at least

Also, I found some numbers about how many people got favorable answers from DOS in the past for their J-1 waivers. I can look for those files and share with you. Good news is that since 2014, no one received an unfavorable answer. I also heard that once DOS approves, USICS approves as well.

Hello applicant 23

As far my case i have my personal story as well as i pulled some internet  documents and articles  that reflects people with same situation as i i am and also few letters from people i know and who knew me. I am sorry but I can't go into details because of privacy issue .

As far as the application timeline we are still in the normal processing time and i think the toughest part is to get uscis to send the case to dos and after that the chances of approval are usually high more then 90 percent.

So lets pray uscis catch up with the work and got our cases processed and see what decision will get.

3 hours ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

Hello applicant 23

As far my case i have my personal story as well as i pulled some internet  documents and articles  that reflects people with same situation as i i am and also few letters from people i know and who knew me. I am sorry but I can't go into details because of privacy issue .

As far as the application timeline we are still in the normal processing time and i think the toughest part is to get uscis to send the case to dos and after that the chances of approval are usually high more then 90 percent.

So lets pray uscis catch up with the work and got our cases processed and see what decision will get.

No worries, it's a sensitive issue. I did the same thing. Honestly, I had no idea how to even gather evidence. I looked up how people, which were doing the same things as me, are affected by persecution back home. I had around 8-10 pages of evidence, but I could have had more. I had a US government funding, so I am afraid that might complicate things a bit. If your visa is running out, try a community college, or if you are graduating apply for OPT, just to buy yourself some time for waiver to come through. I am planning to uscis again right around the end of May