H4 to F1

Suverna Jain

I am currently on an H4 visa which will get expired in Sept 2018. I wish to study further and have already received admit from 2 universities for Spring 2018 session. I plan to study on F1 as it would provide me the benefits of OPT. I am worried and confused about getting my visa status changed from India or filing for COS from US itself. Which option is better?

My husband’s green card is not yet filed and his H1 expires in Sept 2018. I feel that going for stamping in India would be better as I can tell the Visa officer that my visa is getting expired and my husband wishes to come back to India. But, I am not sure what would be the right thing to do.

Please advise.

10 hours ago, Suverna Jain said:

I am currently on an H4 visa which will get expired in Sept 2018. I wish to study further and have already received admit from 2 universities for Spring 2018 session. I plan to study on F1 as it would provide me the benefits of OPT. I am worried and confused about getting my visa status changed from India or filing for COS from US itself. Which option is better?

My husband’s green card is not yet filed and his H1 expires in Sept 2018. I feel that going for stamping in India would be better as I can tell the Visa officer that my visa is getting expired and my husband wishes to come back to India. But, I am not sure what would be the right thing to do.

Please advise.

Getting stamped is always better as you can travel in case of emergencies without any issues in the middle of your studies.

Archived