Visa stamping in Canada or London as Indian Citizen

NB-S

Hi All;

I am currently on H-1B visa in U.S. Have lived in U.S. since 2004, initially on F-1 visa and then transferred to H-1B in 2007. Have maintained H-1B visa since 2008 (have approved I-140). I did not travel outside of the country during this time and did not get the H-1B stamped.

I foresee some international travel in near future. My question is if I can go to Canada or London for first time H-1B stamping? Are there any risks? I do understand that it is recommended to go to home country. I would like to avoid visit to India for H-1B stamping, if I can.

Please share your expert opinion or any advise based on your own experience with first time H-1B stamping from outside of India.

Thanks!

Thanks Gopalakrishna for your reply.

I am trying to understand the risk. Is there a chance of visa being rejected in Canada or London? What happens when visa get rejected in country other than your home country. I suppose you then need to go to your home country to get the stamping in order to enter US again. Any negative impact on visa stamping in India after being rejected elsewhere. I know Mexico is not an option for first time stamping.

Any information based on your experience would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

The risk of denial is always higher in a third country. With a degree from a reputed US university, e.g., a public university, it shouldn't be much of a problem. A degree from one the shady for-profit "universities" out there of course would be a problem everywhere.

After a denial, you indeed would have to go to your home country. And the consular officers know about denials, they have all the history on their systems, so it may be harder to get approval.

Thanks JoeF.

I am leaning towards going to India for first time H-1B stamping given all the responses and information I have gathered so far from talking with people.

I am on H-1B and my wife is working on H4-EAD. We have two young kids (US citizens). When we go for stamping in India, New Delhi - kids will be accompanying us and we don't have any family in Delhi to watch the kids.

Can anyone shed light based on their experience, if kids are allowed inside the consulate to accompany their parents for H-1B and H-4 stamping. Please note that kids don't need stamping on their passports.

Thanks!

Archived