Getting visa stamping while H4 approval is pending

GI1825

I have changed to a new job, and my employer applied for H1B and the I-539 for dependents H4 (spouse + child) together in May. While I received the H1B approval within 2 months, the dependents  petition is still showing as pending. Meanwhile, spouse had to return to home country due to a family emergency, (child stayed in US with me).

1. Now can the spouse get visa stamped and return to US without the approval documents ? Yes, they have my "primary petitioner's" H1B approval and marriage certificate. 

2. We have consulted a random online immigration attorney (phone call), and they said the petition pending with USCIS will be abandoned once a person leaves the country, and you would have to file a new one again, (I think I-539). 

The USCIS website still lists the petition number as pending. The same pending I-539 application also had my child who is a minor, and still in US. This would not make sense why it would be abandoned while he is still here. 

Can someone clarify ? Had anyone been able to get visa stamped with just the primary, not dependent's documents ?

Archived