Breaking contract during OPT

dmehro

I am on OPT now and working with desi staffing company placed at the client location. My project end date is 31st Dec 2017 but I am leaving my desi staffing company for other opportunities. 

When I joined desi staffing company I signed a contract with them that states if I leave a project before the end of Purchase order I have to pay them back 80 hours of billing. I was never shown purchase order from my staffing company but orally they communicated end date of project/purchase order. Now as I am leaving this company they are saying that they will deduct 80 hours of billing from my paycheck. I don`t know what to do, is it legal? Can someone please help or point me to correct direction should I contact a labor lawyer?

Here is exact excerpt from contract about leaving project in between -

(e) If Sub contractor Employee does not complete the duration of the Purchase Order and Purchase Order Extension, "Staffing company Name" will impose an Administrative Reprocessing Fee. The standard amount imposed will be a minimum of 80 hoursof 
consulting fees. The Sub contractors Employee is responsible for full payment of the Administrative Reprocessing Fee and all 
additional costs incurred by company which results in the termination of the  Sub contractor Employee.

Archived