Marriage Certificate for widowed aged father

I intend to apply for GC for my father. There is a requirement to provide his marriage certificate while filing I-130. My father is a widower and was married in 1968, when there was no formal need to register marriages in India.

He is 81 years old and it is difficult to find people who witnessed his marriage in 1968.

He is currently on B1/B2 visa with me in the United States.

What are the options?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks very much for the reply! I have the death certificate of my Mother to prove termination of marriage.

People who have attended his marriage may not be able to go outside their home to get a formal affidavit done. Is an affidavit necessary OR a statement from the people who attended the marriage declaring under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct.

Here is excerpt from I-130 and I-485 instruction:
If records like those described above are not available, then you may submit two or more written statements fromindividuals who were living at the time and who have personal knowledge of the event you are trying to prove,such as the date and place of birth, marriage, or death. The individuals making the written statements do nothave to be U.S. citizens. Each written statement must contain the following information regarding the individualmaking the written statement: his or her full name, address, date and place of birth, full information concerningthe event, and complete details explaining how the individual acquired personal knowledge of the event.
Finally, each individual’s written statement must include the following declaration, “I declare (or certify, verify,or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true andcorrect. Executed on [date], [signature].”

It does not explicitly ask for a formal affidavit.

Thoughts?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived