Prior Travel to Cuba and obtaining B-1/2

dsathe

So I'm flying to Canada for some working then touring Latin America (Chile,Peru, Mexico) next month. I was also interested in visiting Havana, Cuba. However, I am also planning to visit the USA soon (late this year/next year) for work/visit (B-1/2 Visas). Will this cause complication at that time ?

Foreign citizens and non-residents can be questioned by US authorities regarding their previous trips around the world and the countries they visited. One example is the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program/visa-waiver-program-improvement-and-terrorist-travel-prevention-act-faq).

However, since Cuba is no longer in the list, the OP should be fine.

It's not about spending money, even US persons who have relatives in Cuba were not allowed to visit the country for more than a specific time. Visiting Cuba was an issue in early 2000's even for many people who are non-US-residents including Canadian citizens who try to visit the US later. Now it's not anymore.

I'm a European citizen but not Russian. Several years ago when I was on F-1 I visited Russia from my home country for a week to visit extended relatives and I was taken to the Secondary Check when I came back and questioned in detail about everything I did there and everyone I've met.

The government can question you about anything they want if they feel there is a reason.

Archived