Change of Status from B-1 to J-1

venkatachallam

Good Morning

I am a doctor by profession and currently on the B-1 visa with 3 months of stay left in the USA (Until November 2017). I would like to change my status to J-1 as I matched into residency program recently which will start on October 1st, 2017. I am in the process of acquiring statement of need from the Indian government. Once I have the statement of need Education Council for Foreign Medical Graduates will issue I-2019.

Could you please let me know if it is possible to change the status from B-1 to J-1 while staying in the USA without going to India? Also, do I have the sufficient time to complete the process before October with USCIS as my residency program will not allow me to start residency until I am officially on    J-1? Thank you.

Sincerely

Venkatachallam

Hi Pontevecchio,

I can join the residency late with a buffer of 1 - 2 months (ie as late as November to December 2017). Ideally, it is recommended to start on October 1st, 2017 as joining late would cause more patient work load on my colleagues. 

This residency position is an off cycle match and will start on October 1st, 2017. 

Sincerely

Venkatachallam

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest getting the J1 visa back home. Talk to your residency coordinator and ask for all relevant documents needed. There is practically no risk in getting a J1 visa based on ECFMG request. Changing status would be jeopardized if they do not change your status before the B2 I94 expires as then there is no status to change.

Archived