H4 interview 221g in Vancouver

Hello,

I am in a tricky situation regarding my H4 interview and would really appreciate any advice regarding the matter. Details below.

Background:
-------------------
>> I was working on OPT for 2.5 years. My OPT expired on June 26 2017
>> I decided to go to H4 status after that as my wife has her H1B and I-140 approved.
>> I had my H4 interview on July 24 2017 in Vancouver.
>> I left USA on July 22 2017, which is well within the 60 day grace period.

Interview:
--------------
>> I appeared for the H4 interview and provided all documents they asked.
>> They asked a couple of questions too:
    >> Date of graduation.
    >> OPT end date.
    >> Marriage date. (also looked at the certificate).
>> The interviewer then said: "We need to run your information through the system to determine your duration of stay in US. I am not giving you a visa today, but your confirmation should come back in a day or 2. The form I am giving you says visa denied, but that is just a formality. Do not worry about that'.
>> He then handed me a form that said my application was under administrative processing under 221g and there is no guarantee regarding the duration it might take. The form has a link that says the processing might take a few weeks or more.

Problem:
----------------
>> At this point I do not know what to do.
>> Has anyone faced this situation before? Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
>> Any idea when will I get the passport back? Until then, I am stuck in Canada.
>> Should I contact Indian embassy if my passport does not come back in a week? I cannot live in Canada indefinitely in tourist visa.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!
Amartya Datta Gupta

• 4 months later...

Archived