Applying for Citizenship as Single, then getting married

jxv73

Hello, I have read this forum for many years and would appreciate your help with what seems like a minor issue but keeps bugging me. I obtained my LPR in 1/2013 and using the 90 day rule, can send my N-400 for Natz on 10/2017. I'm getting married (to a USC, not that it matters) on 11/2017. The N-400 obviously asks about Martial Status. My understanding is I could either apply as Single and then update the USCIS officer at the interview (bringing my marriage certificate) OR wait one month and apply as Married. Do you suggest one startegy over the other?

A related question is the Address in the application - as I will be moving in with my wife, I would have to update the address on the N-400 (and I have read enough stories about RFEs getting lost in the mail not to be scared about this). Would it be an issue to list my future address instead of the current one?

Thanks!

As long as you fulfill the requirement of 3 months residence in the area before you apply you should answer Yes or No depending on which comes earlier, the application or the Marriage. Make sure the 90 day rule is properly applicable as applying even one day earlier will mean rejection. You do not get RFE usually for this matter. You will get an Interview letter stating which documents are needed.

Thank you - yes the district will remain the same and I have lived here for 2 years.

My reference to RFE was meant for all sorts of USCIS communications going to the wrong address, such as interview notices etc.

Is it worth it sending it as Single? The upside is getting the application in 1 month sooner. 

Archived