H4 Extension - passport expiry date or petition end date

koll_vijay

Hello Everyone, 

I am applying for H-4 extension for my wife. Her I-94 will expire 09/04/2017. I am on H1B and my petition is valid until Feb 2020. But her passport is expiring May 2018. So in I-539 application, should I request the extension date to her passport expiry date or my petition end date? It makes sense that passport should be valid for  duration of the request but I would like to take comments from people with similar experience or experts. Appreciate in advance. 

Sincerely

VK

On 7/12/2017 at 0:16 PM, koll_vijay said:

Hello Everyone, 

I am applying for H-4 extension for my wife. Her I-94 will expire 09/04/2017. I am on H1B and my petition is valid until Feb 2020. But her passport is expiring May 2018. So in I-539 application, should I request the extension date to her passport expiry date or my petition end date? It makes sense that passport should be valid for  duration of the request but I would like to take comments from people with similar experience or experts. Appreciate in advance. 

Sincerely

VK

Best option is to renew passport and apply for H-4 renewal. Passport renewal just takes 2 weeks if you ship it and if you go in person it will take 2 working days. So still you will have time to apply for renewal in time.

Archived