H1b to F1

midas_touch

Hello,

I got my H1b visa approved in 2013 and got my extension too. I want to start my MBA from next fall (2018) and I wanted to know what are the odds of joining job after MBA in H1?  I don't have my I140 approved and I am planning to ask my employer not to apply for it since it would show immigrant intention and changing to F1 would be difficult.

Assuming I graduate in 2020, I would be approximately left with 20 months in H1b.  Assuming that employer is ready to apply for green card soon after I join the company (post mba), 20 months enough to process the whole thing?  Should I be worried about anything else?

Your wording is a bit weird. It sounds as if you have an I-140 pending but not approved, and then later you seem to indicate that no I-140 has been filed. A pending I-140 would indeed show immigration intent, which isn't a good thing for an F1.

As far as timelines after graduation are concerned, nobody can know what the future holds, in particular not with the current US President...

Sorry to confuse.  I don't have any I-140 pending or even Green Card Filed.  I am currently in the 4th year of my H1b. 

I understand it's hard to predict what's in store after graduation, but I don't want immigration to be a  big hurdle for me.  20 months after graduation (remaining h1b months)  how good is it for any prospective employer to hire me? Am I putting myself in a very risky position or 20 months good enough for the employer to file the green card?

Archived