All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrk24

FirstName misspelled in my I-797 Approval notice.

Hi,

My firstname was misspelled in my I-797 approval notice for my H1B Exempt & Transfer case, which was approved in just 39 days lately.I was so happy that it was approved so soon, and i got 3 yrs validity as well. But my happiness vanished when i noticed that my first name was misspelled there. I checked with my employer and everything from our end was fine such as I-129 had correct name as per my passport. 

Can i go ahead for visa stamping with this I-797?

If not, if i raise a service request for name correction, how much time would it take to get a fresh I-797 nowadays?

You advise is highly appreciated!!!!! 

3 hours ago, mrk24 said:

Hi,

My firstname was misspelled in my I-797 approval notice for my H1B Exempt & Transfer case, which was approved in just 39 days lately.I was so happy that it was approved so soon, and i got 3 yrs validity as well. But my happiness vanished when i noticed that my first name was misspelled there. I checked with my employer and everything from our end was fine such as I-129 had correct name as per my passport. 

Can i go ahead for visa stamping with this I-797?

If not, if i raise a service request for name correction, how much time would it take to get a fresh I-797 nowadays?

You advise is highly appreciated!!!!! 

Please talk to

your employer attorney and get it fixed . It's not a big deal .

Also  kindly share us the updates on ur case . Please 

Ya, i'm working on it at the moment. But i would like to know the timelines from USCIS to finish this, Just in case anybody faced this issue before and how much time it took to get it corrected.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:23 PM, mrk24 said:

Ya, i'm working on it at the moment. But i would like to know the timelines from USCIS to finish this, Just in case anybody faced this issue before and how much time it took to get it corrected.

Besides,  I would like to know the timelines for my SR for name correction has anybody faced this problem before?  My employer tells me that it might take 2-4 weeks. Is it so or it takes more Time?  

my employer has raised a service request to correct my first name. the USCIS gave us the deadline as 1st Aug. Not sure whether it will be resolved on or before that time or it may take more time. Only GOD knows!!!!

The status of my case was changed to "Name was updated". Not sure how many days it would take for me to receive the fresh I -797 with correct name. Any ideas? 

Finally it ended well. Uscis has corrected my first name and issued a fresh I-797 again. It just took a week.

Okay... Dokeyyy... Im all set to go for visa now. 

People out there no need to panic after reading my post I believe u won't. 

I posted this reply assuming it helps a lot

My H1B was approved on May 11, but my last name was incorrect.  My employer notified USCIS immediately.

As of today (August 11), we have not received the I797 with the corrected name.  My online status has never changed to "name is corrected"(or something like that).

My employer has requested for the name correction 3 times over the course of 3 months.   The replies they received were: it is pending.

My US embassy appointment is going to be on August 18 and will leave on August 15.  There is only one business day left.  What are my options?

I don't have any i797 notice (even with the incorrect name).  They notified my employer via email since it was filed under PP.

My H1B is supposed to start on September 1.  How can the USCIS be so slow and inconsiderate?   3 months and nothing......They know that I will need to change status soon and it is their mistake.

what should I do? 

How can your employers lawyer make such a rookie mistake? This has nothing to do with USCIS. The approval HAS to be given to you by your employer even if it is a copy. It is possible there will be no issue with the visa.

USCIS never sent I797,  they notified the approval via email (Since the I129 was filed with premium processing).  That's how we caught the mistake.  I immediately notified my employer and they immediately requested for a name correction on the same day we were notified about the approval.

So we have the approval notice by email.

It is the USCIS mistake, I don't understand why it has nothing to do with USCIS.  My name was correct on I129.  They have not even tried to correct my name (no status update on my case).  My employer has notified them 3 times.  It has been 3 months.

Edited by riskandar

Correction:  I now have the i797 with the incorrect name.  

Again, my employer has contacted them multiple times since 3 months ago.  So far, the response from USCIS has been: pending, and please stop contacting us (along this line).

I will go to my visa appointment with the incorrect name on i797 (along with a copy of the I-129 with the correct name)..i hope everything will be ok

Edited by riskandar

Hi, I had received I-797 approval with misspelled last name on it, however it went unnoticed during that time by me and everyone else. So I ended getting up the visa stamped, thankfully with correctly spelled name and its been 2 years now living in USA.  Now my visa duration is nearing to expiry in June 2019, so its time for me to apply for the extension. So wanted to check if the previously misspelled I-797 could make any bad impact during my extension process. As there are no RFE's too as per the updated rules from USCIS, there can be only direct rejections if anythings are wrong with the documentation. Can someone please recommend the best solution?

On 7/20/2017 at 11:17 PM, mrk24 said:

Finally it ended well. Uscis has corrected my first name and issued a fresh I-797 again. It just took a week.

Okay... Dokeyyy... Im all set to go for visa now. 

People out there no need to panic after reading my post I believe u won't. 

I posted this reply assuming it helps a lot

I am in similar situation. My name was corrected and got reply   " On January 7, 2019, USCIS indicated that they would send an Amended H-1B Extension Approval Notice"...... But i haven't received it yet. Does anyone know how many does it take to arrive?

On 8/14/2017 at 10:50 AM, riskandar said:

Correction:  I now have the i797 with the incorrect name.  

Again, my employer has contacted them multiple times since 3 months ago.  So far, the response from USCIS has been: pending, and please stop contacting us (along this line).

I will go to my visa appointment with the incorrect name on i797 (along with a copy of the I-129 with the correct name)..i hope everything will be ok

Hey Sorry to bother you but I'm in the same boat and haven't heard back from USCIS yet and my visa appointment is coming up. How did your visa interview go? Was everything ok?

Should i postpone my interview?

On 7/29/2019 at 3:00 PM, nirmalsabu said:

Hey Sorry to bother you but I'm in the same boat and haven't heard back from USCIS yet and my visa appointment is coming up. How did your visa interview go? Was everything ok?

Should i postpone my interview?

Did you have any updates on your case?

Thank you. 

My last name is misspelled. My attorney says they sent a request to USCIS to correct it. Its been 8 weeks and I still don't see any change in the status of my file to show that some change is being done.

Is this normal?

Any idea how long would it take?

Please share your experience if anyone had this issue.

Thank you.