Name Change on I-94

shiks310

I’m in the US on an H4 visa valid till Sep’2019, and same validity on I-94. I recently renewed my Indian passport in US and changed my name from maiden to married. My I-94 arrival/departure record shows my maiden name (This information was correct at that time, as I had entered the US on my maiden name, and changed my name/renewed my passport afterwards.). Filing an amendment through a lawyer or going to India would not be cost effective. For any government office, bank, DMV in the US to change my name in their record and reflect that in my ID, they need my I-94 to show my married name, since I-94 is considered as the primary record. Can I cross the border for just the name change to reflect on my I-94 while all my other information is correct? Will they change my name on I-94 to what is on my new passport, even though my visa has my old name?

5 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Contact your local civil court clerk and ask him how you can change your name legally in that state. Once you do that you can get SSN and DL changed.

I have an Indian issued marriage certificate, and my married name is only on my new passport, would that suffice? 

5 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Contact your local civil court clerk and ask him how you can change your name legally in that state. Once you do that you can get SSN and DL changed.

I have an Indian issued marriage certificate, and my married name is only on my new passport, would that suffice? 

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2017 at 1:49 PM, shiks310 said:

I’m in the US on an H4 visa valid till Sep’2019, and same validity on I-94. I recently renewed my Indian passport in US and changed my name from maiden to married. My I-94 arrival/departure record shows my maiden name (This information was correct at that time, as I had entered the US on my maiden name, and changed my name/renewed my passport afterwards.). Filing an amendment through a lawyer or going to India would not be cost effective. For any government office, bank, DMV in the US to change my name in their record and reflect that in my ID, they need my I-94 to show my married name, since I-94 is considered as the primary record. Can I cross the border for just the name change to reflect on my I-94 while all my other information is correct? Will they change my name on I-94 to what is on my new passport, even though my visa has my old name?

Hello. Know this is an old post. But were you able to fix your name in I94? If so, could you provide details how did it please? Thanks.

Archived