Travel to India one month before H4 expiry

aditya232

Hi All,

My wife is on H4-EAD and the H4 is expiring on Sept 14 2017. She has visa stamped for the current H4 (till Sept 14 2017).

She is planning to travel to India and return on Aug 16th 2017. Will there be an issue at POE to enter into USA on current H4 visa while H4 extension is pending?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

13 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

She can return any day before the H4 visa expires with your H1 petition copy and the I94 for her H4 will be till your H1 petition expiry.

Thank you pontevecchio.

I have read that "Travel during pending I-539 terminates the application as abandoned"

Is that true ?

In the case of an H4 , there is NO ENTITY called a H4 petition. There can be extensions of H4 status based on the status of the H1 person. Once she leaves she has no status to extend. Hence the pending EOS has no relevance to you or her. When she returns she will use her H4 visa and your H1 petition to come back.

1 hour ago, pontevecchio said:

In the case of an H4 , there is NO ENTITY called a H4 petition. There can be extensions of H4 status based on the status of the H1 person. Once she leaves she has no status to extend. Hence the pending EOS has no relevance to you or her. When she returns she will use her H4 visa and your H1 petition to come back.

Thanks again. My H1 extension will also be pending when she returns. But I guess that doesn't matter as my current H1 is valid till Sept 14 2017.

Archived