Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spouse did PHD in UK and wants to work in US

Recommended Posts

Hello Folks,

I am working on H1-B Visa (No GC yet). My spouse is about to complete her PHD by the end of this year in UK (United Kingdom). She has applied for Research and Fellow-ships in US and might come over student visa (need to confirm). 

Can anyone help me to get answer below queries:

1) First of all, will she able to work in US as I am already working on H1-B Visa without GC process started.

2) If answer is 'No' for point #1, then what else is option if she wants to work or study in US?

3) If answer is 'Yes' for point #1, then what Visa she could work over and what are conditional elements to this situation?

4) Since she did her PHD from UK, will it be possible that she could get her GC fast in US when applied? Also, do I need to transfer myself to H4 Visa while will work?

Please guide in this regard and suggest.



Share this post

Link to post

For post-doc work, that would be a J1 or even an H1, not a student visa.

And yes, she can get that regardless of your H1.

For tenure-track faculty positions, a GC is pretty easy. The category would be EB1-OR (Outstanding Researcher, getting a tenure track position essentially already shows that the person is an outstanding researcher.)



Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now