I-539 : COS H4 to F1

tbh15

Hello, 

My case for change of status from H4 to F1 was received on April 24, 2017 at Vermont service center. No updates yet. 
Fall sem starts on August-7. Not sure if decision will come by that time. 

My H4 visa is valid till Nov-18-2017. I have asked university if I can start my semester with H4 but not received any response yet. 
In case University responds saying they will defer my admission to next season what are my options to start Fall 2017? 

Should I go to India and get F1 visa stamp? I still have couple of months for that. If it gets rejected I can still enter on H4 and get it extended. 
If I go to Inida will my H4 to F1 COS get cancelled automatically or I have to inform USCIS to cancel my case? 

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

i am in same situation as yours. My H4 is expiring on September 30th and my college starts on September 6. I have applied for COS from H4 to F1 on April 6th and there had been no update since.

can you please let me know what your dso suggested regarding starting the college on H4? Is it legal to attend college even after H4 expires and decision is pending on COS? Will expired H4 lead to F1 status denial?

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 7:18 AM, H4toF1VSC said:

Hello,

i am in same situation as yours. My H4 is expiring on September 30th and my college starts on September 6. I have applied for COS from H4 to F1 on April 6th and there had been no update since.

can you please let me know what your dso suggested regarding starting the college on H4? Is it legal to attend college even after H4 expires and decision is pending on COS? Will expired H4 lead to F1 status denial?

thanks in advance.

Which center is handling your case ? I am in similar situation. My F2 is ending on 30th September. I sent COS on 15th May. College starts 18 September. 

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am in same situation, my application for H4 to F1 received at vermont center on 3rd April, still didn't get any update from them. I already completed my two semester on H4.

I am confused with whether I should go to india and get my F1 stamp, or just wait here to hear back from USCIS.  All I want to get F1 approval before start of spring 2018 semester. So that I will be on F1 for last semester and eligible for OPT.

Can you please let me know , based on prior case experiences, how risky it is to travel back to home country to get stamping by withdrawing this current application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived