Place of birth change on Passport

Hello All,

I would like to get place of birth corrected on my passport.

I was born in Nepal and my family moved to India when I was very young. My parents never thought of obtaining copy of my birth certificate from Nepal as it was never required for school admission in India. My parents are illiterate and somehow my Country of birth was recorded as India on all my official school records. My passport and other documents have India as my birth country since no one ever asked for birth registration certification as a proof of birth and my school leaving certificate was sufficient as a proof of birth document to obtain a passport.

I would now like to get this error corrected on my passport. I contacted my relatives in Nepal and confirmed that they have official record of my birth in Nepal. My brother was able to obtain an original copy of my birth registration certificate from Nepal. My date of birth registration is Feb 2017 on the birth certificate

After looking at Indian consulate website, I will have to visit Indian consulate office in person at San Francisco in order to get this error rectified. 

Now my questions are:

1.Which document are required in this process apart from the document I have listed below? I would like to make sure I have all the necessary documents with me before I plan my SFO consulate visit. 
A.Original passport
B.Copy of birth registration certificate from Nepal
C.Completed passport application form

2.Is it easier to do this correction at Passport office in India during my India visit?

3.Will it be a problem that my birth registration date is not in the same year as my date of birth? If yes, do I need an affidavit from my parents? If yes, is there a format I should follow?

4.My I-140 is approved. Shall I wait until my passport is corrected, before I start I-485 application?

Any suggestions on this matter will highly be appreciated! Thanks.
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry ,  but it seems to be bit complex to change place of birth. You will need to call counslate and ask for the documents .

in past lots of similar cases were coming , due to PD of Nepal. Lots of cases were fake( I am not saying you'rs is ), but counslate will be more vigilant.

call them.

Archived