I-485 status updated to "Fees will be Refunded"

My husband and I applied for an I-485 after his EB1 was approved. Both of us received our EAD cards and had completed our biometrics. Yesterday we received an update saying our I-485 fees will be refunded. It said "USCIS made the decision to refund the fee for your form I-485 application to register for permanent residence or to adjust status. Your refund will be mailed to the fee remitter on file. This refund does not affect the processing or location of your case" 

Any idea what this means? Is our I-485 application still under processing or should we be worried?

Below is from USCIS website

Is the filing fee refundable?

In general, USCIS does not refund a fee regardless of the decision on the application unless there is a finding of USCIS error. Instances of USCIS error are as follows:

• Unnecessary Filing - USCIS (or the Department of State in the case of an application or petition filed overseas) erroneously requested an unnecessary application or petition and collected a fee;

• Payment in Excess of Amount Due – USCIS (or the Department of State in the case of an application or petition filed overseas) erroneously accepted and processed an application or petition with a fee in excess of the amount due;

• Failure to Meet Premium Processing Times – USCIS will refund the fee provided with Form I-907 whenever USCIS did not approve, deny, issue a Notice of Intent to Deny, send a Request for Evidence, or open a fraud investigation relating to an application or petition within 15 calendar days of receiving the application or petition accompanied by Form I-907 with the required fees;

• Other – There may be other instances where a refund is appropriate based on USCIS error.

Note: If you believe you may be entitled to a refund, please call our toll-free number at 1-800-375-5283 for assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this case. I just got the similar one since pending for 7 months.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:16 AM, cheekymonkey said:

Any update on your situation. I got the similar message and I am concerned since I have been waiting for the GC for 8 months and then this message. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the same situation. I sent my forms after marrying my us citizen boyfriend.  I did biometrics October 2/ 18 and after that my status went "my fee will be refunded" it says this doesn't affect the processing or location of my case. That status appeared in all my forms i-765 i-485 i-130. My priority date is August 30/18. Please help with any ideas on what this mean. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 11:25 PM, suruchisharma said:

My husband and I applied for an I-485 after his EB1 was approved. Both of us received our EAD cards and had completed our biometrics. Yesterday we received an update saying our I-485 fees will be refunded. It said "USCIS made the decision to refund the fee for your form I-485 application to register for permanent residence or to adjust status. Your refund will be mailed to the fee remitter on file. This refund does not affect the processing or location of your case" 

Any idea what this means? Is our I-485 application still under processing or should we be worried?

6 month after the acceptance of biomatics fee and the approval of I-131 and I-360, we have received the same message. We applied for I-485 under special immigrant class as Intern'l organization retiree. Any idea what  this means and what would happen next, and are our application still under processing? Any response will be highly apprecaited.  

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:41 AM, pontevecchio said:

In that case, there is no problem.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:53 PM, suruchisharma said:

Thanks for the reply but none of these actually apply to us. We did not ask for premium processing for I485, it has been a lot more than 15 days since we submitted the application, we did not pay excess but paid the exact amount ($1225 for each application) and I485 is not an unnecessary filing.

Can anyone please respond to me as I got the same message from USCIS and my lawyer sent everything back to the uscis Nebraska with a cover letter that uscis made an error. I sent fresh new checks with the photocopies of the forms they had sent me in the packet. What should I expect from them now? Will they correct the error and put my case back on track after 11 months of waiting?

On 4/6/2017 at 8:25 PM, suruchisharma said:

Can anyone please respond to me as I got the same message from USCIS and my lawyer sent everything back to the uscis Nebraska with a cover letter that uscis made an error. I sent fresh new checks with the photocopies of the forms they had sent me in the packet. What should I expect from them now? Will they correct the error and put my case back on track after 11 months of waiting?