Change of employer and H-1B extension

smani01

I plan on changing my employer in about 2 months and the first 3-years on my H-1B visa expires in August. I learned from the attorneys at my new employer that there is not a way to file for my H-1B visa ('porting') before the April-3rd cut off (when the expedited processing is suspended). This has implications for our travel back home (if needed) and also for my spouse's H4-EAD validity.

At this point, could i request my current employer to file for extension/renewal of my H-1B visa so that I could also get by spouse's H4-EAD renewed and then subsequently wait for the new employer to port my H1? Given that i have already tendered my resignation, could they still file for my H-1B extension?

Thanks

On 3/18/2017 at 1:37 PM, smani01 said:

I plan on changing my employer in about 2 months and the first 3-years on my H-1B visa expires in August. I learned from the attorneys at my new employer that there is not a way to file for my H-1B visa ('porting') before the April-3rd cut off (when the expedited processing is suspended). This has implications for our travel back home (if needed) and also for my spouse's H4-EAD validity.

At this point, could i request my current employer to file for extension/renewal of my H-1B visa so that I could also get by spouse's H4-EAD renewed and then subsequently wait for the new employer to port my H1? Given that i have already tendered my resignation, could they still file for my H-1B extension?

Thanks

You need to check that with your current employer.

Archived