Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dismissed Charges and filling for N-400 question.

Recommended Posts


in 2006 I was issued summons to appear in District Court regarding a larceny charge and shoplifting charge, The charges were dismissed upon my paying $100 in court cost and $200 in civil relief to the store. In summary I was neither arrested nor convicted of any offence and all the charges were dismissed.

In 2007, On my I-485, this above incident was mentioned with yes to the question “have you ever been arrested , cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking law and all the proof were provided

and Green Card was issued without any issues.

Questions now that I need your advise.

Q1. on Form N-400 part 12 , questions 22 to 28 which questions should I be marking yes to reflect the charges that were dismissed in 2006 ?

Q2 . should I be saying yes to only the following questions and mark No to the other questions like 22, 25 , 26, 27 , 28.


23. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason ?


24. Have you ever been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offence ?

Q3. What information I need fill in section 29 where I need to provide details if I said yes to any from 22 to 28.

Q4 do I need to send the same proof that I had provided when i-485 was filled along with n-400 application as well ?

Q5. Will this pose any issues to obtain citizenship ? there are no other office since than except this.

Q 6 Do I need a lawyer to file n-400 and represent me ? or can I file this application on my own keeping in mind the charges that were dismissed ?

Share this post

Link to post

Since the charges are 11 years old, they should not matter. Paying a fine is a conviction. It may not matter now as they look for problems in the last 5 years before naturalization. If your case was dismissed with prejudice that is another matter. Since naturalization is important to you , You need to consult a lawyer before filing and take his advise. Most likely you will be fine.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now