221g white slip while B2 visa renewal

Anony Mouse

Hello

I am a US permanent resident, currently awaiting call for interview as a part of the US citizenship acquirement process.  My father is presently visiting us in the US on B2 visa.  He plans to stay here for 3 more months (his visa expires mid-April, 2017, but his I-94 stamp is valid thru October 2017).  In the meanwhile, my mother is in India and her B2 visa, too, expires mid-April, 2017.  She has been to the US 4 times in the last 10 years (She always left in less than 6 months stay in the US, so we assume that she has not "abused" B2 visa).  When my mother applied for renewal of her B2 visa at Mumbai, India, she received 221g white slip with a request for interview (no additional documents requested).  My parents are married. My mother is self-employed in India and can show ties there (work/property). 

Here are my questions:

1. Is it advisable for my mother to attend the 221g interview?  Or should I just apply for her green card (consular processing) after my citizenship is acquired?

2If she were to appear for 221g interview and if the consulate withheld her passport for further investigation, can she retrieve her passport without withdrawing her B2 renewal application?  My mother has preplanned travel to Europe this summer.  

3. How soon after her 221g interview can she request to retrieve her passport? 

Thank you much!

On 3/10/2017 at 5:49 PM, Anony Mouse said:

Hello

I am a US permanent resident, currently awaiting call for interview as a part of the US citizenship acquirement process.  My father is presently visiting us in the US on B2 visa.  He plans to stay here for 3 more months (his visa expires mid-April, 2017, but his I-94 stamp is valid thru October 2017).  In the meanwhile, my mother is in India and her B2 visa, too, expires mid-April, 2017.  She has been to the US 4 times in the last 10 years (She always left in less than 6 months stay in the US, so we assume that she has not "abused" B2 visa).  When my mother applied for renewal of her B2 visa at Mumbai, India, she received 221g white slip with a request for interview (no additional documents requested).  My parents are married. My mother is self-employed in India and can show ties there (work/property). 

Here are my questions:

1. Is it advisable for my mother to attend the 221g interview?  Or should I just apply for her green card (consular processing) after my citizenship is acquired?

2If she were to appear for 221g interview and if the consulate withheld her passport for further investigation, can she retrieve her passport without withdrawing her B2 renewal application?  My mother has preplanned travel to Europe this summer.  

3. How soon after her 221g interview can she request to retrieve her passport? 

Thank you much!

1. She can go for interview.

2. Yes, you can retrieve her passport.

3. She can request anytime.

Archived