Travel back to US on H1B after a gap of 7 months

Vishwesh

I have a quick question about my situation. 

I was in the US for almost 12 years working for a Major Retailer as their employee. I left the job in July 2017 and came back to India for good. For some reasons my India move wasn't a success. I am planning on going back to the same company and same job. The company is willing to re-hire me. I have that same company's H1B visa stamped valid until December 2018. 

Can I travel back to the same company and same job with their existing visa? If so, what documents would I need from the company to show at the immigration port of entry. I could possibly get the re-appointment letter from them. Please let me know as I have to take the decision within next 10 days.

Hi Vishwesh, 

I am also in some sort of similar boat . I had come to India for a 1.5 month visit but had a major health issue , have surgery and so had to extend my stay for 3 months more (so total 5 months)

Since I work for a consulting company  they gave me extended leave (my H1B is still valid) but my client wasn't willing to wait for so long and so i don't have a project (which is kinda required for EVM model) . The client will immediately take me back as soon as i land at the same location but again it's only after i land in US. 

Is this an issue as i have a stamped / valid visa ?

Do the POE officials worry about if you have project in hand . What documents do i need to show at POE ?

Any help will be great . Thanks, 

Nishant 

Thank you for your reply @adshah84

Nishant - From what it looks like and the response from @adshah84, I think it should not be an issue provided you have a valid visa to travel. However my fear in your case would be the client letter, which might be required. Is your client willing to give you that? If so, then you are safe. I have heard cases where consultants have been asked for client letter at POE. To be on the safer side I would ask for the letter from client and then plan my travel. All the best. 

Archived