All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuiOpt

DUI - Applying for OPT STEM Extension

Hi Members,

Thanks for your service.

I have got arrested for DUI in Sept 2016. My Visa was revoked as well.

I have not left the country and I am applying for OPT STEM Extension this month.

What can I expect? Will I get my OPT? I've seen some of them getting it without any problem but some got RFE's asking them for court disposal and DSO documents.

What will be my case with the most recent update in this group?

Thank you,

Vivek

21 hours ago, DuiOpt said:

Hi Members,

Thanks for your service.

I have not left the country and I am applying for OPT STEM Extension this month.

What can I expect? Will I get my OPT? I've seen some of them getting it without any problem but some got RFE's asking them for court disposal and DSO documents.

Thank you,

Vivek

did you get your DUI case dismissed or are you convicted?

Your arrest still remains so when you go for visa interview you will have to mention this and provide court outcome disposition docs

I get that. My question was "Will I get my OPT 24-Month Extension"? 

I'm not planning on leaving the Country anytime soon.

Thanks for your help.

22 hours ago, DuiOpt said:

I get that. My question was "Will I get my OPT 24-Month Extension"? 

I'm not planning on leaving the Country anytime soon.

Thanks for your help.

yes u will get.. there may be RFE if case not resolved before extension.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:40 PM, century_new said:

yes u will get.. there may be RFE if case not resolved before extension.

My Case resolved. They charged me lower offense. I paid penalty and everything but undergoing a drivers program assigned by court. 

20 hours ago, DuiOpt said:

My Case resolved. They charged me lower offense. I paid penalty and everything but undergoing a drivers program assigned by court. 

But still you may be asked about this case or incident . Be prepared with the outcome of your case and disposition from court.

On 2/1/2017 at 2:41 PM, DuiOpt said:

Hi Members,

Thanks for your service.

Thank you,

Vivek

Hi Vivek/Members,

Even am in same situation, 3rd week of March I received a DUI ticket in Alabama. I got arrested and stayed inside for 8 hours, couz my alcohol percentage is 0.11. along with DUI ticket they gave me reckless driving ticket as well. I didn't had any accident, they pulled me over for speeding. My first court hearing is on 5th May 2017, I received an email form U.S consulate, Chennai saying that, my F1 visa has been revoke and am No more eligible to travel U.S with existing visa. I received this email after 6 days of DUI arrest. I checked with my I94 and SEVIS they are still in status.

My details:

Am an F1 student, presently with OPT which expires on August, I need to apply for STEM OPT extension by the end of May. I am applying for OPT STEM Extension next month.

If I apply for STEM Extension, will I get my STEM OPT Approved?

If I get RFE, how can I prove my legal status in U.S? Will my I94 consider as a proof of legal status in U.S after visa revoked?

What all documents need to be taken care before sending my I765 application to USCIS?

My employer already filed for H1B, is there any chance to get Approved?

Thank you all for your Time and suggestions!

Thanks,

Rahul

On 4/13/2017 at 11:07 PM, Kites01 said:

Hi Vivek/Members,

Even am in same situation, 3rd week of March I received a DUI ticket in Alabama. I got arrested and stayed inside for 8 hours, couz my alcohol percentage is 0.11. along with DUI ticket they gave me reckless driving ticket as well. I didn't had any accident, they pulled me over for speeding. My first court hearing is on 5th May 2017, I received an email form U.S consulate, Chennai saying that, my F1 visa has been revoke and am No more eligible to travel U.S with existing visa. I received this email after 6 days of DUI arrest. I checked with my I94 and SEVIS they are still in status.

My details:

Am an F1 student, presently with OPT which expires on August, I need to apply for STEM OPT extension by the end of May. I am applying for OPT STEM Extension next month.

If I apply for STEM Extension, will I get my STEM OPT Approved?

If I get RFE, how can I prove my legal status in U.S? Will my I94 consider as a proof of legal status in U.S after visa revoked?

What all documents need to be taken care before sending my I765 application to USCIS?

My employer already filed for H1B, is there any chance to get Approved?

Thank you all for your Time and suggestions!

Thanks,

Rahul

Rahul ,

u may get an rfe but if u provide all the documents , mostly its get approved 
u can show rent and other document saying ur here. Get a good immigration lawyer to answer such questions it would be helpful 

I have hrd murthy ppl do it or look into other site 

all the best 

11 hours ago, rockersingh8 said:

Rahul ,

u may get an rfe but if u provide all the documents , mostly its get approved 
u can show rent and other document saying ur here. Get a good immigration lawyer to answer such questions it would be helpful 

I have hrd murthy ppl do it or look into other site 

all the best 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do I need to send the court disposition with my I765 application or else after receiving RFE? which one will be the beneficial.

Edited by Kites01

3 hours ago, Kites01 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do I need to send the court disposition with my I765 application or else after receiving RFE? which one will be the beneficial.

your lawyer would be best person to tell u that 

Dont want to give u advice which could hamper ur application 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:20 AM, rockersingh8 said:

your lawyer would be best person to tell u that 

Dont want to give u advice which could hamper ur application 

Thank you for the suggestions RockerSingh!

Edited by Kites01

On 9/18/2017 at 10:27 AM, rockersingh8 said:

any update on ur application 

Hi rockersingh8,

sorry for late update, I got my STEM OPT approved, now am still working on my case. I have taken differed prosecution, which is 9 months time frame. so I need to finish 9 months monitoring, which includes DDC (Defensive Driving course) which is 8 hours, Serenity Treatment which will be one class, 4 classes related to drug and alcohol and random drug/alcohol tests for 9 months, which are monitored by CRO officer. My visa is still revoked. I hope this info will be helpful for someone!!

Hello There,

I would like to know possible outcomes on my case. Your help is highly appreciated.

Im on my 12 month opt and will be going to apply for extension early 2018.

1) I was pulled over for a dui in August 2017, I had my court arraignment in September. I was asked to go through diversion program with fines. I am on 12 months probation. My question is 

i won’t be able to get my case dismissed before probation though I will be finishing all classes and pay all fines before early 2018. What happens to opt extension if we don’t we a disposition from court ( I know this varies from case to case )

2) IF my employer sponsers for h1b what would be the consequences for dui ?

Thanks,

On 10/19/2017 at 9:06 PM, Kites01 said:

Hi rockersingh8,

sorry for late update, I got my STEM OPT approved, now am still working on my case. I have taken differed prosecution, which is 9 months time frame. so I need to finish 9 months monitoring, which includes DDC (Defensive Driving course) which is 8 hours, Serenity Treatment which will be one class, 4 classes related to drug and alcohol and random drug/alcohol tests for 9 months, which are monitored by CRO officer. My visa is still revoked. I hope this info will be helpful for someone!!

good to hear that ur opt was approved 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:15 AM, Vk1009 said:

Hello There,

I would like to know possible outcomes on my case. Your help is highly appreciated.

Im on my 12 month opt and will be going to apply for extension early 2018.

1) I was pulled over for a dui in August 2017, I had my court arraignment in September. I was asked to go through diversion program with fines. I am on 12 months probation. My question is 

i won’t be able to get my case dismissed before probation though I will be finishing all classes and pay all fines before early 2018. What happens to opt extension if we don’t we a disposition from court ( I know this varies from case to case )

2) IF my employer sponsers for h1b what would be the consequences for dui ?

Thanks,

Hi VK1009,

Did you reject the breath test, when you got pulled over? What was the reason for 12 months probation?

Your case is similar to mine, don't worry about your STEM OPT, it will be approved. Finish up all classes and request your CRO officer and judge to reduce the probation time. 

Even am not sure with H1B application. I would suggest to check with your employer's immigration attorney.

On 11/15/2017 at 1:05 AM, Kites01 said:

Hi VK1009,

Did you reject the breath test, when you got pulled over? What was the reason for 12 months probation?

Your case is similar to mine, don't worry about your STEM OPT, it will be approved. Finish up all classes and request your CRO officer and judge to reduce the probation time. 

Even am not sure with H1B application. I would suggest to check with your employer's immigration attorney.

Yes, am done with my classes and paid all fines. When I checked with people most of them said that’s the least . I will be applying my opt extension within 1 month form now . I have to request for early dismissal though 

Hi rockersingh8,

Hey Kites01,

I had the court hearing in March -18 after negotiating DUI I had to convicted for reckless driving, I am applying for OPT extension, Can you let me know, DO I really need an Immigration lawyer at this point of time, or after I receive some RFE then I can hire one?

can you ping me, I have few questions regards case and Visa.

Thanks in advance,

Sai.

I have the same situation. Should I select (c) 3(C) under the eligibility criteria (For Master Student applying for OPT extension) or should I chose c(35) and provide the arrest records ? the case is still pending. I have only one week left to apply for the extension.

Any help will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Hi Members,

I am on same situation. I got arrested last year for DV July'17 but my case was dismissed I didn't plead guilty. Prosecutor didn't file the charge because there was no probable cause as my case was no-billed. Case was disposed Oct'17. Now I've applied for OPT and I'm really scared if i'll get my opt or not. Can any one please tell me if i'll have any issues with my initial OPT approval. So far I've not received any email or phone call regarding visa revocation. I know sometimes we don't get such notifications.

Hi rockersingh8,

Did you get your case resolved before applying for opt extension? I just got a DUI, on initial OPT, extension due in Feb 2019, ghost arrested, realeased soon after submitting fingerprints! Officer still waiting on BAC report to press any charges (I’m sure it will be above permissible limits). Consulting lawyer as well, but any input from previous cases will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Guls90 said:

Did you get your case resolved before applying for opt extension? I just got a DUI, on initial OPT, extension due in Feb 2019, ghost arrested, realeased soon after submitting fingerprints! Officer still waiting on BAC report to press any charges (I’m sure it will be above permissible limits). Consulting lawyer as well, but any input from previous cases will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Even I got DUI this feb I m very much worried of getting stem extension I have to apply in april and my court date is on april 22nd .

What would be my chances of getting stem extension and my BAC is not out but in breath i saw its 087 I dont no what it is.

I have contacted DUI attorney.he told he can make it to DWAI or DWI and he asked me to do community service and classes prior to the court date I requested for motion of class.he said once BAC is out we can do.

But my major question is can I get stem extension with revoked visa ?

What are the chances of getting stem .my sevis is active ? 

Edited by venky83

Hi Members,

I have a similar situation. I got arrested on February 2 2019 for DUI . My case is still pending in court. Currently I'm on my F1 visa, Post-completion OPT which will expire in July. Recently I applied for my stem-OPT extension but today I got an email from consulate stating that my F-1 Visa is revoked and is no longer valid. Does my visa revocation have an affect on my OPT extension getting approved?