Can STEM OPT extension be denied due to inappropriate fees if USCIS themselves asked for inappropriate fees?

ms0510

EAD expires in Jan-end. USICS raised fees from 380 to 410 for I-765 effective 23rd Dec. I applied for STEM Extension on 23rd dec with a fees of 410 and got rejected due to inappropriate fees on my i-797 and was invited to resubmit. Wasn't this the right fees? I contacted USCIS helpline. A representative reinstated the grounds of rejection as missing biometric fee of 85, which i have never heard of happening for a STEM OPT Extension application. (i noted and confirmed her employee id for future reference). In i-797, it was no mention about that i needed to undergo biometric. 

I conveyed this info to my DSO, who asked taking own decision this time. 

Called USCIS again, twice, somebody else picked the call and they didn't mention about biometric but only wrong fees. I am now worried was I supposed to send biometric fees or not with the new application? I have included biometric fee now as separate cheque and employee id for the representative who asked for biometric fee in my cover.

Quoting from USCIS website:

The filing fee for Form I-765 is $410, effective 12 a.m. Eastern U.S. time, December 23, 2016. You must also pay an $85 biometric services fee, for a total of $495, if you are: 

• Requesting consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
  • A beneficiary of an approved employment-based immigrant petition and you are facing compelling circumstances; or
  • A spouse or unmarried dependent child of a beneficiary of an employment-based immigrant petition who is facing compelling circumstances.

There is no biometric services fee for any other eligibility category.

If you are none of the above, there is no reason they should expect a biometric fee. Very strange!

@pjain64 I don't fall in any of the three categories. My case is simple. F-1 student requesting for valid STEM extension from a great university and a good job offer with a leading company. Do you have any suggestions of what can i do apart from waiting? I am thinking for an info pass appointment. I have two questions -

1. Will the USCIS officers at the info pass office have a better information than the representatives who answer over the call?

2. Will taking an info pass create a negative impact on my case since the decision is yet to be made?

Archived