What happens to existing valid visa if new visa application is denied?

Mr.Rao

Hi all,

I would like to know what happens to your current existing valid visa stamp if your new visa application gets denied for some reason.

Scenario:

I have a valid visa stamping in my passport till June 2017. I have a newly approved i797 valid till June 2020. Unfortunately I am stuck in a marital case (the familiar 498a crime case in India) because of which I had an arrest warrant and I had to go to India to get bail last year. I got travel permission from the court and now in the US at present.  If I go to visa stamping in Mexico in this situation, I have to fill YES for the "have you ever been arrested or any criminal cases pending?" question in the DS 160 form. I have the below questions:

1. What are the chances my visa be denied because I say YES for that question. ( The case is yet to come to trial. I have all the copies of bail, travel permission and power of attorney given to my father on my behalf).

2. If I am applying for visa next month and it gets denied in the worse case, will I be able to use the existing visa stamp that is valid till June 2017 and travel back or will I be in trouble to even use the existing visa and enter the country?

Any suggestions and inputs will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for you replies Shekar and Joe. My doubt if, if they are going to reject the visa they are not going to collect the passport, then what are the chances the visa office at the counter on the spot have the chance to put a cancelled stamp on it?

Thank you in advance.

15 hours ago, rnaageshwar said:

Thank you for you replies Shekar and Joe. My doubt if, if they are going to reject the visa they are not going to collect the passport, then what are the chances the visa office at the counter on the spot have the chance to put a cancelled stamp on it?

Thank you in advance.

All depends on the visa officer. Cannot predict chances.

Archived