Successful H1B / H4 visa renewal stamping in MATAMOROS , MEXICO

Tjgarla

Hello ,

I just go my H1B/H4 Visa renewal stamping in MATAMOROS on 10th January 2017 and wanted to share my experience with you guys since there were some really weird and different questions asked by both the VISA office and the POE officer.

About me:

August 2005 F1 visa in India

December 2007 H1B visa MATAMOROS, MEXICO (They still used to convert F1 to H1B back then)

November 2010 H1B Visa Matamoros, MEXICO

Feb 2014 H1B  Visa Merida, Mexico

Jan 10th 2017 H1B  Visa Matamoros , MEXICO (LATEST)

Since i live in Dallas, TX i drove to Brownsville TX (9 Hours Drive taking breaks) 

Left the car in the hotel recommended by my agent in Brownsville.

He picked my wife, my son (us citizen) and  me , then crossed the border into mexico by 6 PM Sunday (8th jan 2017, SUNDAY)

They Mexico border did not check our visa or passport , we just drove cross the border since our agent knows we stil have the valid US visa(but expiring in 1 month). The border checkpost can give ou 1 week pass for $25 per person if your H1B visa is expired on the passport.

NOTE: You can take your KIDS with you to the interviews though they don't need a visa if they are US citizens.

Checked into the hotel sunday night by 7 PM.

We had out ASC (finger prints) on Monday at 9 AM (9th Jan 2017) . Our agent took us there by 8.45, Finished it by 9.30 AM

We had a whole day to kill so went to the mall and had some good mexican food. Vegetarians will have tough time since no one know english and its tough to explain what we need.

3rd day VISA DAY

We had our H1B and H4 visas on Tuesday (01/10/2017)

We were the first one in the line and the first interview of the day.

NOTE: I am a full time employee and no layers

VO: Good morning

Me: Good morning Madam

VO: Is this interview for renewal of the same category of your previous visa.

Me: YES mam , this will be my 4th visa renewal.

VO: WOW

VO: Pass me your Passports, petition (i797)

VO: checked the petition and asked "what do you do for the company xxx". 

Me: Explained

VO: Asked for my Marriage certificate

Me: passed it over

Vo: She compared the names on the marriage certificate and checked our names to match them

Vo: Now pass me your masters degree certificate

Me: I was shocked since i finished in masters in 2007 and never ever in the last 4 interviews they asked me that.

I passed it over (NOTE: My university is a public non profit and is recognized by USCIS and is in Computer science) 

VO: Now explain me how is your job related to your masters degree.

Me: I was actually Blank since i was not expecting this question and the course work i did was almost 10 years ago and i hardly even remember by subjects.

Me: just explained my masters is in CS and i do programming and project management and used some highlevel IT language like cloud computing, mobile apps , dashoard development

VO: Sounds like fun , in a sarcastic voice and smiled looking at my wife.

Asked me where in US do i live

Answered Dallas.

Wrote the visa numbers on a slip and told me to pick them up at 3 PM the same day

So the visa was successful.

Came back at 3 and picked up the passports . YOu should show your LICENCE to pick it up)

Then the agent dropped us at the border and we need to cross the bridge and get the i94 at the POE.

They charge $6 at the borer to issue it per person. And carry quarters 4 per person to enter the bridge  .

POE Office interview:

THIS was interesting.

Showed the passports and i-797.

What do you do for the company. My visa is stamped till march 2020.

POE office: Till when do you have your job with your current employer.

ME: I was confused  .  Answered" till march 2020)

POE: Show me a letter from your employer showing that you have the job offer till march 2020. 

Luckily my HR always give me a letter stating the same.

POE office looked at the letter and told i will give you the i93 only from 3 years from now (jan 10 2020)

I said that should be ok since i will be only loosing 2 months.

Then she took the $6 and gave the i94 card .

We crossed the border and entered USA. Thats my story.

I have experience A lot of new things . Please carry each and every document recommended.

Message me personally if you want to know more details.

Hi Tjgarla,

Congrats on your visa. I am planning to go to Matamoros, MX for H1-B Visa (New petition). My visa on passport expired so I am thinking of applying for MX tourist visa just incase.

Would you recommend your agent? If yes, could you please share his contact.

What services does the agent provide?

Would it be risky to travel without an agent?

Thank you in advance

M

You can get a 1 week border pass at the Mexico Border. You dont need a mexico visa 

You can message me for the agent's number. I suggest you to go with the agent since you are new to mexico. 

Agent provides transport from BRO airport to Mexico Hotel(Includes border pass ) Extra charge 

2 day hotel (included)

Transport from Hotel to ASC center and back (included)

Transport from Hotel to Consulate and back (included)

Transport from Hotel to consulate to pickup passport and then drop off near the US border. (included)

Back to Airport service with extra charge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On January 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Tjgarla said:

You can get a 1 week border pass at the Mexico Border. You dont need a mexico visa 

You can message me for the agent's number. I suggest you to go with the agent since you are new to mexico. 

Agent provides transport from BRO airport to Mexico Hotel(Includes border pass ) Extra charge 

2 day hotel (included)

Transport from Hotel to ASC center and back (included)

Transport from Hotel to Consulate and back (included)

Transport from Hotel to consulate to pickup passport and then drop off near the US border. (included)

Back to Airport service with extra charge.

Is POE in Airport area? Since I live in Ohio I would have to fly to Brownsville, Do you know how long might take at the POE so that I can plan on my return flight. What is your recommendation to have return flight timing? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, Anup1567 said:

My H1B stamp expired in Aug 2017. My first stamping was done in India. Can i get it re-stamped from Matamoros? I am in Houston so very close to it. I have changed employer in between. Any suggestions? 

Yes, you can get stamping done in matamoros (visa renewal stamping is possible in matamoros.,

H1B to H1B,

H1B to H4,

H4 to H1B,

H4 visa renewal.... as H1B & H4 comes under same H visa category)

If you need any further info, help, feel free to drop me an email.

Good luck !!!

Archived