N400 Application - Didn't Include Traffic Violations

karanvik

Hi, I have filed for my N400 application. The bio-metrics is complete. USICS case status says " we started the interview scheduling process for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization"

I was not aware that I have to disclose my traffic violation. What should I do now.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you have to declare traffic violations other than DUI

10. Question: What documentation is USCIS looking for on N-400 applications for clients who have traffic citations only (no arrests), such as speeding tickets? This is in reference to the Good Moral Character section, question 16, which asks if you have ever been arrested, cited, etc. Also, what is expected at the N-400 interview regarding these traffic tickets? 

Response: Typically if an individual only has minor traffic citations with no arrests resulting (i.e. speeding tickets), they will not be required to submit any additional information with the N-400. However, if, during the course of the interview, an adjudications officer determines that there are circumstances that warrant further investigation, (e.g. there is an indication that the applicant has failed to pay fines associated with the citations), the officer may request additional documentation. (e.g. payment, certified police/court documents indicating such). 

Below text is copied from Instructions for Form N-400 (PDF, 260 KB)
NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:

(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;

(2) The incident led to an arrest; or

(3) The incident seriously injured another person.

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not

involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

16 hours ago, Ashley2017 said:

So I'm confused now. Where does the N400 application say about it? I copied the text from USCIS website.

The form asks: Have you ever been arrested, cited, etc.?

A traffic ticket is a citation. You need to list all citations, which includes all traffic tickets (moving violations.)You don't need to provide documentation for certain "simple" violations, which is what you quoted: "you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines"... That also implies that you have to list them.

Oh I see. So I didn't list citations--that is -- listing of traffic violations. Do you think that's a problem?

I checked with a few others who didn't and their went smoothly for the interview, however, I also understand that every case is unique and also depends on individual officer who's reviewing the case. 

Any comments? Appreciate your insight into this. 

Should I send a list as additional information now? 

Also, is it easy to get a list of traffic violations from DMV? Pls let me know. Thanks 

17 hours ago, Ashley2017 said:

Oh I see. So I didn't list citations--that is -- listing of traffic violations. Do you think that's a problem?

I checked with a few others who didn't and their went smoothly for the interview, however, I also understand that every case is unique and also depends on individual officer who's reviewing the case. 

Any comments? Appreciate your insight into this. 

Should I send a list as additional information now? 

Also, is it easy to get a list of traffic violations from DMV? Pls let me know. Thanks 

Just tell the officer at the interview.

That's what the interview is for, to correct any mistakes or missing things.

If you don't remember the exact dates, that's ok. Just provide the time frame that you remember. They don't really care all that much about things from years back.

The history of this whole thing is that back in the 90ies, it was not necessary to list traffic violations. That resulted in people not listing things like DUIs. So, now they require to list everything, but they are still only really interested in DUIs, DWI, reckless driving, etc. Simple speeding tickets are not a problem.

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

Just tell the officer at the interview.

That's what the interview is for, to correct any mistakes or missing things.

If you don't remember the exact dates, that's ok. Just provide the time frame that you remember. They don't really care all that much about things from years back.

The history of this whole thing is that back in the 90ies, it was not necessary to list traffic violations. That resulted in people not listing things like DUIs. So, now they require to list everything, but they are still only really interested in DUIs, DWI, reckless driving, etc. Simple speeding tickets are not a problem.

Thanks again for your quick response. I don't have any DUI or arrest. However I have speeding tickets, handheld device, accidents( 3 with faults from others and 1 my fault) with no bodily harm to anyone. Once my license got suspended for 2 days because of non payment of a supercharge as a result of DMV not sending any notification or postal mail for asking for the supercharge in the first place. I directly got the suspension notice which I corrected on the same day, with apologies from DMV (nothing in written though). 

I hope its not an issue. My online status says scheduled for interview but haven't received any letter yet. 

Archived