All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curious80

Visitor visa renewal for parents - DS-160 questions

My parents are applying for visitor visa renewal at the Mumbai consulate. Their previous visas (granted: August 2006, expired: August 2016) were marked as B1/B2.

It seems like my parents qualify for an interview waiver (but still need to have fingerprints collected), given the criteria specified here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp.

I had a few questions on how to fill out form DS-160:

• Should my parents apply for a B2 visa, or B1/B2? The purpose of their trip is tourism, not business. However, their previous visas were marked as B1/B2, and my understanding is that the new visa should be in the same class as the previous visa, to qualify for interview waiver.
  • Would it help with my parents’ approval odds if they mention that they are paying for the trip themselves, and not I? They are retired; however they have a regular cash flow and assets/property in India.
  • Are supporting documents (invitation letter from me, proof of assets/property) required, given that my parents qualify for an interview waiver?

Thanks for your help!

The visa is always B1/B2, even if the person only applies for a tourism visa.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:18 AM, JoeF said:

The visa is always B1/B2, even if the person only applies for a tourism visa.

Thank you! Does that mean they should apply for B1/B2, so they can qualify for the interview waiver, or can they apply for just a B2 and still qualify?

Also, any thoughts or suggestions on the other questions?

Hi there! It’s been a while since your post, but I would like to know if you had applied in B1/B2 or just B2? I am in the same boat and would like to know. Thanks in advance!